Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone interested in organizing with me this year? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478634)

kimb96 01-06-2013 02:14 PM

Anyone interested in organizing with me this year?

That is my new years resolution, to be more organized. I have loads of storage in my house but it's starting to feel tight so I know I need to make better use of the storage around here. I've been browsing organizing blogs for a week now and I have some inspiration. I was thinking of maybe a weekly thread where we can tackle one specific area a week and share ideas and pictures. Anyone interested? I'm starting tomorrow with the laundry room/mudroom. I made a trip to ikea yesterday and picked up some containers.

thekuligs 01-06-2013 02:35 PM

Re: Anyone interested in organizing with me this year?

I am reorganizing my house. I am doing one room a month (plus the garage) for year. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, the laundry room, the living room, the kitchen, the dining room. We are doing this diningroom this month. I LOVE organizing but the 5 kids I feel our needs have changed and we need a total over haul! We also decided to build a lot of our peices.

tommymommy 01-06-2013 04:31 PM

I'll do it :) We are only in a 1000 sf condo, but it has tons of storage. But we are on full now, so I need to organize and purge. I will clean out and organize my laundry closet this week!

I love this kind of stuff, especially before and after pics!

ohgirlohboyohno 01-06-2013 04:51 PM

I'm in...we are in a 1000 sf townhome, with 4 kids and 2 adults, 2 bedrooms, 2 bath and tiny gnome kitchen...my bathroom has more cabinets than the kitchen :(

I get too attached to stuff, so I might need some motivation....not Hoarding, buried alive style but ...well you know.

P!nkPepper 01-06-2013 05:42 PM

Are you purging or just using cute organizational tools? If you are de-cluttering, the minimalist forum is has a "purge 2013 items in 2013" thread. Also mini challenges for each weekday. You don't need to be a minimalist to join. I'm not a true minimalist but I've gotten rid of 700 items this year and I have been purging for years. Come join us.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

kimb96 01-06-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymommy (Post 16123444)
I'll do it :) We are only in a 1000 sf condo, but it has tons of storage. But we are on full now, so I need to organize and purge. I will clean out and organize my laundry closet this week!

I love this kind of stuff, especially before and after pics!

I started today and got a lot of organizing done. I will take before pics tomorrow though as I will be painting this week too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickshep19 (Post 16123722)
Are you purging or just using cute organizational tools? If you are de-cluttering, the minimalist forum is has a "purge 2013 items in 2013" thread. Also mini challenges for each weekday. You don't need to be a minimalist to join. I'm not a true minimalist but I've gotten rid of 700 items this year and I have been purging for years. Come join us.

Purging and organizing. I will check out that thread. Thanks for the heads up!

2boysmama 01-07-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickshep19 (Post 16123722)

I think I already tossed (took to goodwill with other stuff) 2013 plastic army guys. Ha ha! We have too much junk! Our house is awesome with a large storage room in the basement, an attic, decent sized closets, a bunch of cabinets throughout the house...but I hate that all of this is packed with a bunch of junk. Plus, my sister and her husband and their two girls moved into a smallish apartment and they stashed a bunch of stuff here (BIL asked dh if he could keep somethings here then my sis asked me about a few things and dh and I didn't talk...we ended up with a bunch of their things!) I want all the junk gone!! I cannot start with my laundry room though...that is the biggest of the dumping grounds and it is so full of stuff I'll need to practice on some of the easier rooms first, like the kids bathroom or mudroom. I'm going to check out the other thread too. Great idea, OP. Support is always so nice!

specialdelivery 01-07-2013 08:18 AM

I'll join you. We are hoping to conceive again this spring/summer and I would really like my house to be in good order before this happens. It wasn't at all before ds was born and it shows. :giggle2: Ive also joined in the purging threads so hopefully I'll have less to organize.

kimb96 01-07-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boysmama (Post 16125578)
I think I already tossed (took to goodwill with other stuff) 2013 plastic army guys. Ha ha! We have too much junk! Our house is awesome with a large storage room in the basement, an attic, decent sized closets, a bunch of cabinets throughout the house...but I hate that all of this is packed with a bunch of junk. Plus, my sister and her husband and their two girls moved into a smallish apartment and they stashed a bunch of stuff here (BIL asked dh if he could keep somethings here then my sis asked me about a few things and dh and I didn't talk...we ended up with a bunch of their things!) I want all the junk gone!! I cannot start with my laundry room though...that is the biggest of the dumping grounds and it is so full of stuff I'll need to practice on some of the easier rooms first, like the kids bathroom or mudroom. I'm going to check out the other thread too. Great idea, OP. Support is always so nice!

That is exactly why I started with the laundry room. It is right off the garage and next to the kitchen. Everything gets dumped there and I desperately need this room to work better for me. I went through all the cupboards in there and organized them. Purged a box of stuff. I have one lower cupboard to sort through and organize. Today I will prep the walls and hopefully start painting tomorrow. Oh yeah, and tackling the mountain of laundry that piled up over the last week. But last night I nearly lost heart. I started pulling stuff out of the laundry room and wanted to give up. I was wishing I had started with something easier. But it already is looking much better. Meanwhile, the dining room is trashed as everything from the closet and some open shelves is piled in there until I get the painting done.