Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   When to start... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478640)

newcdmommy29 01-06-2013 03:25 PM

When to start...

DD is 19 months old and will grab at her diaper now. I'm thinking it's before she poops but not certain. Im wanting her to lead us in this process so I'm looking for signals from her. Does that "count" as a signal? I'm 17 weeks pregnant and would love to wait until after the next baby comes. Is that a horrible idea? I don't want to stunt her in any way but I don't want to pressure her either.

Earthy Emmy 01-06-2013 04:11 PM

Re: When to start...

Go for it. I trained my kids by the age of two, but we lightly started around 18 months. Just take it easy and don't stress yourself out. Keep a diaper off of her when you're home and she'll probably get the hang of it pretty quick. Good luck!

Faithsa 01-11-2013 12:55 AM

yes, it a cue. I just read the "Oh Crap Potty training Guide" and 18 mos is not unheard of. It can sometimes take a bit longer at that age for it to completely 'click' but totally doable. I'd say nakkie for the first couple days, watch for cues. I have two kids 22 mos apart and I'm just now pt'ing my 3 yr old. It's been too crazy. I'd suggest if you can, do it now. After baby comes, it gets crazy with an infant and a toddler and it will be a while before you can have the time to devote your attention to her to help her learn her own cues mean get to the potty.

mija1 01-12-2013 12:51 PM

I started at a year and a half.

Talia01 01-14-2013 08:21 AM

I placed the potty chair in our bathroom when he was 18mths and he sometimes would sit on it for fun. A few days after he turned 2 he put up a fuss as I went to change his diaper so I sat him on the potty, he went. I took that as a sign and did the three day method & haven't looked back. I think it does depend on the child though, my friends 3.5 year just decided to train a few weeks ago.

Shimpie 01-14-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthy Emmy (Post 16123141)
Go for it. I trained my kids by the age of two, but we lightly started around 18 months. Just take it easy and don't stress yourself out. Keep a diaper off of her when you're home and she'll probably get the hang of it pretty quick. Good luck!

Ditto as PP. I say try it. I introduced the potty and toilet seat at the 18 months, but there was no pressure to use it. My DD got familiar with the objects and then we started reading books on the potty. By 22 months, she was ready to train and was out of diapers by 26 months.

abunchoflemons 01-14-2013 09:48 AM

Does she stay dry at night all night long? This is what some irl says. It sounds like ok. My book said when they can help undress themselves.

strongwoman 01-14-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithsa (Post 16142964)
yes, it a cue. I just read the "Oh Crap Potty training Guide" and 18 mos is not unheard of. It can sometimes take a bit longer at that age for it to completely 'click' but totally doable. I'd say nakkie for the first couple days, watch for cues. I have two kids 22 mos apart and I'm just now pt'ing my 3 yr old. It's been too crazy. I'd suggest if you can, do it now. After baby comes, it gets crazy with an infant and a toddler and it will be a while before you can have the time to devote your attention to her to help her learn her own cues mean get to the potty.

^This. I read the book, too. Don't wait, get it done now while you only have one to care for. DS2 was capable of going potty at 18 months but I didn't have any guidance except for what I remembered from training DS1 and I gave up because I was preggers, tired, and felt frustrated. Just before 24 months I decided to go for it and it's been great. Still has accidents here and there because he's busy playing, but it's so much better than having to clean up a toddler sized poop in a diaper- bleh!