Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Does anyone go to online school? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478655)

LittleABC 01-06-2013 03:38 PM

Does anyone go to online school?

I am in my last trimester at an online tech center. I start Monday. And what I am taking this trimester, is just basic and beginning stuff. I am thinking I am going to want to continue my education with what I am going for right now. I am nervous about other online places. Can anyone offer suggestions as to ones I should watch out for or that they know are actually good? Thanks so much.

luvsviola 01-06-2013 03:45 PM

I did my masters online, but went through Indiana University and it says IU on my degree. I'd make sure you do it through a program that is respected by employers, like through a state university instead of a private for-profit company that employers may not be familiar with.

If they get 100 applications and only interview 20 people, you want them to recognize your program as quality so you get an interview.

knodceo 01-06-2013 03:48 PM

I completed a double masters through a private university, before I did though, I made sure it was accredited and would work with what I wanted to do.

It takes a lot of scheduling and organization, as I did it during the final stages of my pregnancy.

Good luck!

My hubby is finishing up his bs from a state school online.

jbug_4 01-06-2013 04:25 PM

Re: Does anyone go to online school?

I have done several online things and starting again on Tomorrow in a dietetics program. The program is completely online but you have to have the credit level of an Associate's to start it (there are classes within the associates that can't be taken online because they have labs or oral reports). It like all my other online work has been through actual colleges like the PPs and were not online schools, rather traditional schools with online programs.

Look for actual colleges that offer the program you want, most offer online only degrees now. If looking at strictly online classes look for accreditation and specifically look at accreditation and its reputation in your desired field. Really doesn't matter if they have an excellent technology reputation if your a business major.

NotLad 01-06-2013 05:29 PM

Your degree will be taken seriously if its associated with a traditional brick and mortar school.

When I was in th working world, resumes with places like university of Phoenix wouldn't even get a second look.

tinytushi 01-06-2013 05:35 PM

Just because it is a traditional brick and mortar school with online classes means nothing. My DH and I both used the online Westwood college. We lived near the Dallas Texas Brick and Mortar school. After going for a few years we found out they had provided false documentation in regards to their accreditation and NO ONE recognized a diploma through them. Now I am stuck with my DH and I having over 60 thousand in student loans and fake diplomas. No way to go back to school because we are maxed out on student loans.

MarieSeeking 01-06-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinytushi
Just because it is a traditional brick and mortar school with online classes means nothing. My DH and I both used the online Westwood college. We lived near the Dallas Texas Brick and Mortar school. After going for a few years we found out they had provided false documentation in regards to their accreditation and NO ONE recognized a diploma through them. Now I am stuck with my DH and I having over 60 thousand in student loans and fake diplomas. No way to go back to school because we are maxed out on student loans.

But that's a for profit school. I think the PPs are referring to not for profit brick and mortar universities/colleges.

NotLad 01-06-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinytushi (Post 16123694)

Hence my advice to stick to a traditional school.

5PrincessMommy 01-07-2013 11:42 AM

I did my BA online through cal state Chico. I then did my teaching credential program online through cal state Fullerton. I'm now in a masters program through Grand Canyon university. All has been fine. In fact my program through cal state Fullerton (cal state teach) is well known in Cali. And has a good reputation

luvsviola 01-07-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieSeeking

But that's a for profit school. I think the PPs are referring to not for profit brick and mortar universities/colleges.

This. Go through a public university with a good reputation.