Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Meal ideas. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478671)

leyash 01-06-2013 04:33 PM

Meal ideas.

Okay... I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, and I have NO idea what I want to get. My kids are really picky, but I want some new recipes. I go to HEB (I think that's only a local store, not like Walmart), if anyone is familiar.

Anyhow, my kids don't care for meat much. I need cheapish meals. I don't like meals with 20+ ingredients. Prefer healthy, if possible, and no "weird" ingredients, please... lol. I don't like when things are hard to find.

Any ideas?! Recipes would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

ETA: My budget is about $120 this week for snacks for all of us, all week, breakfast for me and the youngest during the week, lunches for me and the youngest during the week, and dinners for three kids, one pregnant one (me), hubby, and my dad.

leyash 01-06-2013 05:39 PM

Re: Meal ideas.

Nothing? :(

leyash 01-06-2013 05:41 PM

So, $120.

Snacks = $15
Breakfasts = $10
Lunches = $25
Other items (coffee, etc.) = $20
Dinners = $50

With it broken down that way, I can make a list a bit easier. Either way, that's ALMOST $10 per dinner, which is really the only thing I need ideas for. So, dinner ideas, to feed 6 people, for $8ish per meal.

MarieSeeking 01-06-2013 05:43 PM

I like browsing for my own recipes...i would look in skinnytaste.com or ourbestbites.com

hbee 01-06-2013 07:56 PM

You could buy a whole chicken or roast or something and use it for more than one meal.

ETA - I did a chicken today and it will be for at least quasidillas and chicken pot pie.

leyash 01-06-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbee (Post 16124279)
You could buy a whole chicken or roast or something and use it for more than one meal.

ETA - I did a chicken today and it will be for at least quasidillas and chicken pot pie.

I just put roast (carrots & potatoes) on the list, lol. ;p

ccserrano 01-06-2013 08:42 PM

I did a pork shoulder in the crock pot today, to have for this week.... In thinking pulled pork sandwiches one night, pork rice and beans, and pork fajitas or stirfry over rice.

Mama*Kim 01-06-2013 10:03 PM

I try to plan leftovers to use for extra meals. A roast might be pot roast one night and the leftovers might be roast beef hash the next night. A whole chicken can be roasted chicken the first night, casserole or tacos the next, and chicken soup the third. A pot of chicken soup is generally enough for leftovers for soup too.

I try to keep my budget to $80 a week for our family of four. I keep breakfasts and lunches simple. Breakfast is usually cereal, eggs and toast, or yogurt, fruit and toast. Lunches are leftovers, sandwiches, or simple pasta dishes (DH isn't much of a pasta fan, so I take advantage of lunches with the kids for that). For dinners, I always try to only cook meat a few nights a week as its usually the most expensive part of the meal. When I do cook meat, I try to base my meals off meats already in my freezer, that way I don't have to scramble to figure out meats for dinner while I'm shopping if prices aren't good. Then, while I'm shopping if there are other good deals, I'll buy a couple of things for the freezer to use another week.

leyash 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

Mmmm, making this one night.

http://www.recipesecrets.net/TGIFrid...ckenPasta.html

Spunkify 01-07-2013 09:10 AM

I love, love, love this site:
www.supercook.com
You put in what you have in your pantry and fridge and it pulls recipes from all over the net. Since I've found that site my cooking has taken off. I've also had really good luck with allrecipes.com if I'm looking to make something with one certain thing.