Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/7-1/11 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478709)

wordbox 01-06-2013 06:20 PM

Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/7-1/11

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us. :)

Week #2

Monday 1.7.13: Purge 5 items from your cleaning supplies. Sprays, sponges, rags, or anything else that's cluttering things up and doesn't get used. This is a good time to assess your supplies, and if you're low on anything then add it to your shopping list.

Tuesday 1.8.13: Purge 5 items from your purse and/or diaper bag. Toss receipts and expired coupons, old lip balms, expired cosmetics, empty wipes packs, or anything else that doesn't need to be in your bags. This is a good time to also restock anything you're low on. Do you have enough wipes? Diapers? Do the spare outfits still fit? Does anything need to be washed?

Wednesday 1.9.13: Purge 5 items from kids' closets. Do they have anything that they don't wear or no longer fits? Lots of stains? Just plain don't like? Don't forget about socks, shoes, and other accessories.

Thursday 1.10.13: Purge 5 items from your children's toys and books. Think about your goals for your child in terms of minimalism. Is simplicity something you want for them? Decide what doesn't fit in with these goals and values, and get rid of some of their unnecessary stuff.

Friday 1.11.13: Purge 5 items from your diapering supplies. If your kids are out of diapers or this otherwise doesn't apply, focus on another area of your kids' stuff that needs attention (possibly a second purge of things from Wednesday's or Thursday's areas).

Good luck!

TypeAMom 01-06-2013 06:41 PM

1/7: 2 new sponges that we won't use, 2 old cleaners (1 was an anti-allergy thing and it expired 5+ years ago), 1 paper towel holder

1/8: instead of wallet and diaper bag, I rehomed 6 like-new gift bags

1/9: pulled 4 pairs of pants & 4 pairs of socks

1/10: pulled 27 books to donate!

1/11: sold 4 cloth diapers over the prior w/e and I'm totally counting them here. Unrelated, but I donated an unopened X-Mas gift.

P!nkPepper 01-06-2013 07:14 PM

1/7 I did my cleaning supplies, sponges, aka under the sink last week so I'm just listing random things from the kitchen I just stuck in a box:
A cd walkman,
red glass bell,
a wine glass with no mate,
Trash: a soap sample
A pair of broken scissors

1/8
1 huge bunch of receipts
1 booklet of coupons
2 empty ring boxes
1 stack of business cards
1 book

1/9
1 pair of socks,
1 pair underwear,
1 pair jeans, 1 hat,
1 pair slippers,

1/10
to the donate pile:
7 kids books
Spike the dinosaur
a sock monkey,
To trash: a squishy ball
random junk gun
a door sign

1/11
Blueberry Softbums ~ sold
Firecracker Softbums ~ sold
6 prefolds ~ sold

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-06-2013 10:55 PM

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/7-1/11

Yay! I am so glad to get started this week! I actually got one of my two shifts off tomorrow so I have half the day to do stuff. We were going to today but that didn't happen lol I am glad I can make it up tomorrow!

Marbie 01-06-2013 11:27 PM

Yay! I'm in for this week, although I want to do deep cleans/purges of some of those areas, so we'll see how it goes.

I did get rid of 5 cleaning supplies already and went through the kids' toys/books downstairs, getting rid of about 40 items. I still have the upstairs toys/books to do though!

mama2silas 01-07-2013 02:10 PM

I'll play! Clutter is beginning to creep into my home again...

1/7: cleaning supplies
1 Old, used magic eraser
2 old toothbrushes
1 broken soap dispenser
2 swiffer pads that came with the mop that i will never use

1/8: purse and wallet
31 old recipes and lists
1 old, empty lip gloss
1 pamphlet
2 discount cards
1 empty gum package
6 appt cards out of wallet

1/9: kid's closets
1 ripped leggings
2 outgrown undies
7 outgrown jammies

1/10: kid's toys and books
2 board books
2 picture books
2 music cds

1/11: diapering supplies

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-07-2013 02:20 PM

Monday 1.7.13: Purge 5 items from your cleaning supplies. Sprays, sponges, rags, or anything else that's cluttering things up and doesn't get used. This is a good time to assess your supplies, and if you're low on anything then add it to your shopping list.

When I purged the bathroom the other day I got rid of some cleaning stuff. I looked under the kitchen counter today. Wasn't much but got rid of a dog shampoo, and dog lotion (no longer have the dog), a dog bowl, I combined the rest of a cleaning refill into the spray bottle, got rid of 3 reusable swiffer pads that I never use...that's about it. Not much left in my house to purge :)

rawheid 01-07-2013 03:06 PM

1 game, 5 puzzles, 24 books, 1 watergun

wolffie 01-07-2013 05:41 PM

Monday 1.7.13: Purge 5 items from your cleaning supplies.
1. 5 old ant traps
2. empty stainless steel cleaner bottle
3. scrub brush
4. bottle of bug repellent
5. rub away bar (part of a shower gift 6 years ago that we have never used)
6. 2 laundry detergent samples

Tuesday 1.8.13: Purge 5 items from your purse and/or diaper bag.
1. crayon
2. 2 books
3. Garbage
4. Misc toys put away where they belong
5. Junky toys in the donation bag

Wednesday 1.9.13: Purge 5 items from kids' closets.
5 t-shirts from dd's closet

Thursday 1.10.13: Purge 5 items from your children's toys and books.
1. 11 books
2. 4 random toys
3. bag of inflatable dinosaurs from a bday party
4. 2 thomas take n go toys and take n go trains (keeping the wood ones)
5. bag of dd's lite sprite accessories that she doesn't play with and they are tiny and annoying!

Friday 1.11.13: Purge 5 items from your diapering supplies. - I did some purging in the basement since we don't have anything to get rid of in the diaper bin. What we do have we will need for the new baby.
1. 4 halloween candy buckets
2. 3 4th of july hand clappers
3. 3 scarves, 1 hat
4. 4 coasters
5. 2 halloween gift bags

wordbox 01-07-2013 08:35 PM

I got rid of 23 cleaning rags. Yowza.

I had a pretty busy day, so tomorrow I'm going to look over the rest of my cleaning supplies, and then move on to the next challenge.