Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Sad about self-weaning a rainbow baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478763)

erin_c_odonnell 01-06-2013 09:13 PM

Sad about self-weaning a rainbow baby

DS2 seems to be self-weaning :cry: He's not my first rainbow baby but he did come after 2 back-to-back losses and the one right before him was an 11 week loss that was REALLY hard on me. Even though all my babies are special to me, I won't lie and say I don't have a strong attachment to DS2 for the above reasons. I'm just sooooo sad that he might be weaning already :cry:

We've been sick (all of our family including me and him) off and on since Thanksgiving. He had starting biting (has 5 teeth) so I'd just tell him no-no no bite! But he cries and cries when I tell him no and refuses to nurse. Then 2 days ago he just stopped nursing. Cold turkey. Yesterday he didn't nurse all day. Not even for nap or to go to bed last night! He woke up at 6 am and nursed VERY short. Then nothing today till bed time for a short time. Any my boobs don't hurt so maybe there's no milk? Is it just sickness? Is it a strike? Is he really self-weaning already??? He's not yet 1 (Jan 14th). I'm sooo sad that my rainbow baby is growing up way too fast :cry:

GotAllBoys 01-07-2013 09:50 PM

I'm in the same boat! My DS will be 1 on 1/31 and we're on day 5 of a nursing strike. Well at least I hope it's a nursing strike... I honestly don't know if he'll go back. I keep offering & offering but he turns away and cries and wants nothing to do with my breast.

I've been told it's a strike because:
-very rarely does a baby under 18-24 months self wean,
- there were several triggers just before the strike started... the stress and hustle/bustle of the holidays, my stress over my mom coming to visit in 2 weeks, my losing sleep, decreased milk supply, and ds had a fever of 102.

I'm so worried that he won't go back though because he is LOVING the bottles. I stopped using the fast flow & went back to the slow flow so hopefully he won't get too lazy & impatient. I've been pumping & feeding him bm but can only get about 1/2 of what he drinks in a day, so the remainder is ff.

Keep us updated on how it goes, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

gina1921 01-20-2013 07:31 AM

Re: Sad about self-weaning a rainbow baby

It sounds like for both of you the babies are very interested in their surroundings and a bottle is easier to take and go. Try making nursing a play time by bringing a book to look at or toys to explore. Let baby latch on and watch TV. Or play in the bed with your shirt off, chase baby, let baby chase you. DD loves to explore my face, mouth, while nursing. Having a few days of being available and relaxed might help a lot. I would put water in some of the bottles, but that might be the wrong advice. ;)

Two times my milk has dried up on week-long trips away from DS, and I got it back 100% each time by being patient and offering my breast a lot. She would refuse it a lot too, but eventually she comes back. She is 19mo old now. Good luck to you both!