Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mama cloth question (my design flaw) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478773)

ninny7 01-06-2013 10:07 PM

Mama cloth question (my design flaw)

1 Attachment(s)
So I made my own cloth and used my own pattern based on a disposable pad. I used for the back PUL or fleece and then the inside is 1 layer of zorb, 1 flannel and then topped with flannel. They turned out very cute too! (or I guess as cute as things like this can be :blush:) The shape and absorbancy seems good BUT the stinking tabs wick causing a leakage that is frustrating me!:banghead: I made the tabs out of flannel (number 1 mistake apparently). I made the tabs seperate thinking I would save the more expensive material but I did not consider that I would have this problem. I sewed them inside out and then topstitched so I can't easily take them apart and redo. Now unfortunately, I made about 17 of these without testing my design first but I am planning on making more for a friend and her daughter and my daughter. Any suggestions on patterns that you love and that work well without wicking? I am thinking they would have worked fine if I had just put PUL on the back of the tab so it couldn't have wicked through.

Actually I have a couple other questions too while I have your attention:hugs:
- I want to make some for my 12 year old but I don't know what size to make them - ideas for a pattern?
- My friend does not want fleece or PUL for yeast reasons - has anyone used recycled wool for this? I am picturing a wool liner that you can snap an insert to. I am wondering about the bulkiness. She wants to just use like 6-8 layers of flannel but I still don't know if that is enough and any thicker, I won't be able to turn and topstitch. I could serge them but then my pattern won't work.
- So I guess my last question would be - is there a pattern for serged cloth?
Thank you!!

I added a picture - the 2 on the left is with the flannel up and the other is fleece up

MotherMoonPads 01-06-2013 10:11 PM

Re: Mama cloth question (my design flaw)

Can we see a photo?

Rdesonia 01-06-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninny7 (Post 16124745)
So I made my own cloth and used my own pattern based on a disposable pad. I used for the back PUL or fleece and then the inside is 1 layer of zorb, 1 flannel and then topped with flannel. They turned out very cute too! (or I guess as cute as things like this can be :blush:) The shape and absorbancy seems good BUT the stinking tabs wick causing a leakage that is frustrating me!:banghead: I made the tabs out of flannel (number 1 mistake apparently). I made the tabs seperate thinking I would save the more expensive material but I did not consider that I would have this problem. I sewed them inside out and then topstitched so I can't easily take them apart and redo. Now unfortunately, I made about 17 of these without testing my design first but I am planning on making more for a friend and her daughter and my daughter. Any suggestions on patterns that you love and that work well without wicking? I am thinking they would have worked fine if I had just put PUL on the back of the tab so it couldn't have wicked through.

Actually I have a couple other questions too while I have your attention:hugs:
- I want to make some for my 12 year old but I don't know what size to make them - ideas for a pattern?
- My friend does not want fleece or PUL for yeast reasons - has anyone used recycled wool for this? I am picturing a wool liner that you can snap an insert to. I am wondering about the bulkiness. She wants to just use like 6-8 layers of flannel but I still don't know if that is enough and any thicker, I won't be able to turn and topstitch. I could serge them but then my pattern won't work.
- So I guess my last question would be - is there a pattern for serged cloth?
Thank you!!

I made some in 2008 before I ever knew anything about cloth diapers or pul. I made them with just 5 layers of flannel and no wings. I don't have leak issues but I change them often. I just happened to have made more this weekend. I serged them but again they don't have wings or anything. Just 5 layers of flannel. (I wear mostly "boyshort" style undies so wings wouldn't really work anyway for me.)

NooneeWilga 01-07-2013 01:10 AM

For a 12 year old - if she needs pads, then she is likely to need them in the same sort of range of size and absorbency as any menstruating woman.

For comments on your design, I agree that a photo would be helpful.

weesej 01-07-2013 04:30 AM

I have one answer....I have used upcycled wool as a waterproof backing for mama cloth. I put snaps on the pad and the wool and reused the wool. Haven't had a leak yet.

SamanthaSews 01-07-2013 05:01 AM

I use this pattern

http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2011...free-patterns/

I cut the whole pattern out of fleece (you could use wool or PUL). I like the fleece bc it's soft & I don't have to worry about fraying (so no serging or sewing required). Then I cut the soaker layers out & serger around, then I sewed the soaker pad to the wings. Add snaps & done! So easy & quick. I can get 2 done from start to finish in under an hour.

This site as many free patterns to choose from
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidia.../Patterns.html

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

jeebee 01-07-2013 05:41 AM

I think if you use felted wool, prefelt it really well... then it should be fine just to use as the backing layer without worrying about any extra part to snap in etc. The washing might be a bit more finicky but it will probably work fine. If you do it that way though of course you won't be able to lanolise it!

mgmsrk 01-07-2013 08:35 AM

I would cut the wings off as close to the edge of the pad as you can. Then make a new wing pattern that includes the shape of the pads and wings, a bit bigger then your pad area. Cut the pattern from poly fleece(old clothing made from it would be great). Stitch the pads to the new wing back and add your snaps.

a_marines_wife03 01-08-2013 06:41 PM

I dont top stitch mine I found when I do they wick through the stitching. I stitch the absorbent layer to the soft part that is going against my body. then i stitch them together right sides together and turn them only top stitching the back closed or front if you sleep on your back.