Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Talk to me about Vasectomies!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478778)

gbird1 01-06-2013 10:42 PM

Talk to me about Vasectomies!!

So my husband has an appointment on Thursday. Can any of you tell me about your husband/partner's procedure or experience? Painless? Discomfort? Painful? Complications? Any of you get preggers after having the vasectomy? Please share, thank you!! :goodvibes:

3lilbubs 01-06-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Talk to me about Vasectomies!!

It wasn't bad at all, in fact the doc gave him something to calm him down before and he was quite silly and jovial during the whole thing. (my dh, not the doc. :giggle:) The pain wasn't bad at all. He said the most uncomfortable part was the sensation of the stitches inside until they dissolved and the tugging feeling from where the doc had pulled at the tubes to cut them. It felt weird to him for about a month. ETA: just make sure your dh goes back for ALL the follow up counts, there's like 2 or 3, more if anything is found. Dh's was zero for all of them and we're 2.5 yrs out from the procedure, no surprises but we never had an easy time getting pregnant anyway so no promises here.

mg5g 01-07-2013 12:16 AM

Check out this site ---
http://www.dontfixit.org/
Sadly I didn't read it until AFTER Dh had his procedure. If we could go back we would.

Mom23kids 01-07-2013 01:55 AM

Dh didn't have a hard time with his. They gave him Valium and he took it an hour before, although he should have taken it an hour earlier than that because it didn't take full affect until after the procedure. Lol! He slept the rest of the day, and recovery was about 2 weeks to feel normal. We are enjoying sex without getting pregnant. :goodvibes:

AmeliasMum 01-07-2013 02:46 AM

DH and I are Quiverfull, but you might get a better response over here:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1467738

FrozenBooty 01-07-2013 04:05 AM

My x husband stated it was the best 500 dollars he ever spent 20 minute procedure when our 7 year old was about 3 weeks old.

He did it on a Friday and was back to regular work on Monday.

carolinaem 01-07-2013 04:26 AM

My husband was uncomfortable for about a week- but he has an on your feet walking around all day kind of job and went back on Monday, he should have taken the day off and rested more. I am so happy to be off bc pills for good!

(Our cost was just a co-pay too, so cheaper than a yr of bc pills)

magdalynaa 01-07-2013 05:10 AM

My DH was very uncomfortable. The doc let me watch the whole procedure, and it was pretty vicious, lol. Even with the local anesthetic, DH was grimacing, gripping the table, etc. His doctor also didn't prescribe pain meds until one of his stitches burst the next day.

He doesn't regret it, but just based on what he told me, the whole ordeal was a LOT more painful than he expected.

sandrc 01-07-2013 06:08 AM

Dh had one over a year ago. It was only a $40 copay so he was very happy to get it done. Especially since I can't do hormones.
Dr gave him a shot of Valium right before the procedure. They talked cars through the entire thing. Dh said it wasn't bad except for when dr burned the tube ends. Dh said that burned. And it did stink worse than burning hair. Dr gave dh numbing shots in each side before he poked the hole to keep pain down.
Dh said it felt like he was kicked there for a week or more. He tried to go back to work 2 days later but overdid it and got too sore. He has a physical job so he ended up staying home almost a week.
We didn't try anything for a couple of weeks. I was still post partum so we waited until I was ready and dh said it didn't feel great when all the cut parts tried to work. He had one swim count after and it was 0.
Dh wears underwear a lot more now. He said it feels like his boys are unsupported and sagging a lot more than before. Dr also recommended supportive underwear right after as well. It did help keep some discomfort down. And an ice pack is much recommended.

Geckmumto3 01-07-2013 06:13 AM

My DH just had his in the fall. On advice from ladies here :goodvibes: I did not let him drive himself as he wanted. But, it went very easily for him. He said it was five mins a side, with a lot of prep time beforehand. He took it very easy for the full 48 hours and was back at work on Monday. He said he had an odd tugging sensation, not really pain for a few weeks, but he says there is nothing now. He goes for his first test in Feb, so we are still not "safe" yet.