Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Thinking about pulling DS out of public school (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478840)

kbstanley3 01-07-2013 09:02 AM

Thinking about pulling DS out of public school

My husband and I have been interested in homeschooling our children for a while now but since my oldest started public school this fall, it has really become more of a focus. His school isn't horrible, or anything like that, but there are things they do that I do not agree with and areas where I feel it is impossible for them to truly grant him the individual attention he needs. Of course, we all want the best for our children. My husband and I, though, are a little skeptical about whether or not we will be able to provide him with everything he needs, mainly because of lack of information about homeschooling. I just don't really feel that I know how to go about it? As in, how do I know that I am teaching him everything he needs to learn for each grade level? I feel that I need some sort of "Homeschooling for Dummies" book (wouldn't that be hilarious). Are there any type of structured programs out there that don't cost an arm and a leg or are free? I had originally thought about K12 but when I go to "options" for my state (NC) it only give me the private school, which is way more than we can afford (five thousand a year). I know they have the free public school option, but I'm guessing that must only be in certain states? Also, one of the things that drew us about K12 was the "social activities" and such that they have available (or claim to, anyways). I just need direction and help, homeschooling is something we've always wanted to do with our children, but unfortunately we let pressure from the grandparents affect our decision and decided to try our oldest in public school. And now that he's there we are constantly reminded of all the reasons we wanted to homeschool him in the first place. Advice/links will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

missydawn 01-07-2013 09:16 AM

Re: Thinking about pulling DS out of public school

If you are scared about teaching your son k12 online might be ok. By the dates in your siggy I would guess your ds is in kinder. I have heard k12 you must long in so many hours a day which takes up a lot of time. That is why so many do not like that program. There are a lot of programs out there that Lay everything out for you to teach your child, just like they do in public schools. First thing I would suggest is head to your library and check out books on identifiying you child's learning style. That will aid you in choosing the right curriculum to use for him. Also look into what you need to do to homeschool in your state. Some states do not require anything some require portfolio and state testing. You can find that info by going to your school district web site and searching homeschool. I hope that helps some.

kbstanley3 01-07-2013 10:42 AM

I have read the information about the legal requirements for NC. Can you direct me to some of the programs you are talking about or do you have any recommendations? I will definetely check out some books about identifying his learning style, do you have any specific recommendations? I'm thinking that since I'm not very prepared that he will probably have to finish out kindy in public school so I can get a good plan ready for first grade for him and preschool for my DD. We do already do a lot of informal things at home, we did teach my son to read (somewhat) and write before starting kindergarten. He's a very easy learner, though, he learns a lot on his own if that makes sense. The kids also love to get on starfall, but like I said, we haven't really gone in depth with anything structured.

KandFsMomma 01-07-2013 11:06 AM

subbing! We are currently in the process of taking DD out of kinder and homeschooling too. We are getting connected with a yahoo group of homeschoolers in our county that do weekly science projects.

missydawn 01-07-2013 12:20 PM

I say do it when you feel comfortable. No sense in waiting if you feel this is the right decision. The hardest part is taking that first step. Try this quiz and let us know what it says and how you feel about it. Now this is just ideas of how you would do things you don't have to agree with it, but it will give you some ideas on your style and your child's.
http://http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz.html

kbstanley3 01-08-2013 10:50 AM

Thank you for the link, that is a great website! I did take a couple of the quizzes but I'm on my nook right now so I can't post the results. For the learning style for him, it said he is mostly a visual learner, which is definetely true. I've been browsing through the different links on the site, there's some really usedul info on there.

kbstanley3 01-08-2013 11:04 AM

Do you know if the workbooks they have at dollar tree are any good? I picked some up because I figured even if they are so-so, we can use them for fun and practice. I started working on one with my DD this morning , she was having fun with it at least. My husband is pretty set on not pulling DS out until the end of the school year, which I can kind of agree with since DS is a schedule oriented child and I'm not sure he'd react to such a dramatic change so fast as well. We figure the summer break will give us time to get in a groove so we can go ahead and get started with him and make sure it's a good fit for our family. I get more excited each day, though, and I'm pretty confident that homeschooling is going to be perfect for us.

kbstanley3 01-08-2013 11:09 AM

The hardest part is going to be to get DH's family warmed up to the idea and convince them that I'm not going to ruin my kids by not sending them to public school. FIL would be the kind to threten to call DSS on us. When I was pregnant with DS, he didn't like one of our name choices and said he would TAKE our child from us if we named him that. Seriously. So I will not only have to make sure my butt is covered legally, but also have copies of everything to shove in their face.

thirdtimemomma 01-08-2013 11:11 AM

Check out HSLDA.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

missydawn 01-08-2013 11:19 AM

Yeah my family was not keen on the idea but now they think it was the best thing. I have never used the dollar tree workbooks but it sounds like a good place for you to start. If you want to look at curriculums would suggest christianbooks.com or rainbow resourses. Rainbow is the cheapest place I have found for most curriculums. I would shop around and look at reviews. I am currently using Learning Language Arts Throught Literature, Spaulding, Saxon, and Right Start Math, depending on the child. We take homeschool classes for art and science. This allows us to get out of the house and talk to other people since our town does not have a co-op.