Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O Do you/SO eat set meals or graze? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478894)

waterisntsomething 01-07-2013 11:15 AM

S/O Do you/SO eat set meals or graze?

The enforcing meals thread got me curious, do you, as an adult, eat set meals? I tend to eat at random whenever I get hungry. Some days I'll happen to have a breakfast, lunch, and dinner like normal but a lot of days I have 5 or 6 small meals. My SO and I eat totally different types of food and right now he works a 4-12 shift as a linecook so he usually eats dinner when he gets home between 12 and 2 am. We're all over the place! DS is really only just starting to eat solids regularly and I try to just feed him when I eat but it's not set. I really don't have an opinion either way...just curious how other adults eat. I think it's largely dependant on lifestyle b/c if SO would I what I cook and was at home at dinner time I would probably do regular sit down dinner.

ulawolf 01-07-2013 11:22 AM

We, as stated in other thread, tend to.graze. I make a dinner but during the week none of our schedules allow.for a sit.down as a family meal. I tend to.eat 5/6 small meals and or snacks a day. I try never to just grab a big ole bag of chips and eat though.

leyash 01-07-2013 11:25 AM

Re: S/O Do you/SO eat set meals or graze?

We graze.

With me being pregnant, and still not feeling 100% constantly... I have to eat when/what I can. I'll admit that we've all really become grazers since I got pregnant. I USED to make dinner every night, and my kids all used to be on a pretty regular schedule with meals. It just works better this way. They eat more healthy foods with grazing than they did when they were eating set meals, at set times, honestly.

Ontariomama 01-07-2013 11:25 AM

We graze on the weekends. We eat somewhat scheduled meals during the week, but never at the same time every day. It all depends on sports, school and work schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Bhavana 01-07-2013 11:39 AM

You are ending up grazing because your SO-the only other person who will eat/appreciate the effort you put into cooking isnt there regularly. Like you correctly said, its all over the place since his shift keeps changing.

Right now since your ds' food needs are different fm yours, I wouldnt worry much about how many times Im eating, as long as Im not going hungry/end up eating junk.

Maybe once he starts eating adult food in appreciable quantities, I would think of cooking 3 meals+snacks or 4/6 small meals thro'out the day. So Im looking at maybe 4/6mos down the line?

My MIL was right when she said "Once you have kids, your disregard for food/cooking will change." When it was just dh and I, I was a terrible cook..like even I would avoid eating what I cooked. And when dh was gone for travel, I used to live on liquid diet and roasted cabbage & mushroom. DS1 arrived and put me in a spot by being a picky, picky eater. I wisened up and went on a schedule of 3 proper meals + fruit/protein snacks. When ds2 came, he settled into the rhythm of eating well.

jbug_4 01-07-2013 11:50 AM

We eat set meals. I grew up with a diabetic father who had to have a schedule to maintain blood sugar. For us that means 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks.

waterisntsomething 01-07-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhavana (Post 16126431)
You are ending up grazing because your SO-the only other person who will eat/appreciate the effort you put into cooking isnt there regularly. Like you correctly said, its all over the place since his shift keeps changing.

Right now since your ds' food needs are different fm yours, I wouldnt worry much about how many times Im eating, as long as Im not going hungry/end up eating junk.

Maybe once he starts eating adult food in appreciable quantities, I would think of cooking 3 meals+snacks or 4/6 small meals thro'out the day. So Im looking at maybe 4/6mos down the line?

My MIL was right when she said "Once you have kids, your disregard for food/cooking will change." When it was just dh and I, I was a terrible cook..like even I would avoid eating what I cooked. And when dh was gone for travel, I used to live on liquid diet and roasted cabbage & mushroom. DS1 arrived and put me in a spot by being a picky, picky eater. I wisened up and went on a schedule of 3 proper meals + fruit/protein snacks. When ds2 came, he settled into the rhythm of eating well.

Well even if he was home we would probably eat separately. He is a cook and I like most of what he cooks so if he does dinner we eat together but he doesn't like what I cook. He knows too much about the science behind how to properly cook and it drives him crazy if things aren't done the proper way. It's not a big deal..I don't mind us eating separately. As DS gets older I will probably cook meals for the two of us, other than nights where SO cooks, and I guess we'll get into a sort of schedule.

sisu 01-07-2013 12:09 PM

I graze, DH eats set meals. The kids eat a big breakfast and a big dinner and graze in between. DH works 4 long days during the week so we usually don't eat dinner all together on those days, but we try to on the other 3 days.

leyash 01-07-2013 12:18 PM

DH grazes as well. With his work schedule, he kind of has no choice.

JennTheMomma 01-07-2013 12:32 PM

Nope DH and I are also grazers. I feel it's healthier for us to be grazers. We do eat dinner though, and we'll eat lunch if we go out or something. But majority of the time it's grazing. I don't buy junk food, so it's always fruit, veggies, small sandwhiches, little bowls of soup or pasta, etc.

ETA: I do cook, I love to cook, I use to be a Chef. I make hand made meals daily, but they are just broken up to smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals. I use to eat 3 meals and maybe 2 snacks a day and I noticed that I didn't have much energy and I'd have tummyaches. I dropped the snacks, same thing. Once I started to graze on a regular basis I noticed a lot more energy and no more stomachaces.