Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mommas with HG... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478988)

s@hmommy 01-07-2013 02:31 PM

Mommas with HG...

How do you know you have reached that point were it is no longer normal morning sickness? I am sicker than I have ever been in any of my pregnancies. I am 9 weeks and have lost 5 pounds so far with a starting weight of about 114. Everything makes me sick, I want to cry every day because I am struggling to make it through. I am having tons of headaches now and am wondering if I might be getting dehydrated. I don't complain much irl, I don't want to make a special appointment with my ob if I am just having crappy ms. I am currently on zofran, it helped for a while but now it doesn't seem to do much more than make me throw up when I take it. I just don't know what to do.

Katie Mae 01-07-2013 03:21 PM

Re: Mommas with HG...

I know a girl who had legitimate HG and no meds helped, she had to keep getting IVs because she kept getting dehydrated. If you think you are getting dehydrated, definitely call your dr and see what they suggest. When I was at the point of dehydration with my daughter the dr didn't even see me. My husband told him I hadn't kept anything down in a few days and he called in an IV and I just went to the hospital and got it. It was instant relief. Like I could feel the water dripping into me and it was wonderful. But for me once I had zofan in the IV, I was able to take 4mg every 4 hours around the clock and it worked until the sickness let up around 14 or 15 weeks. Good luck! Morning sickness is normal, not being able to keep anything down, even water/popsicles, etc, is not good. I think the rule of thumb is after 72 hours you should be seen, but maybe that was just what my OB does. I would definitely call your OB, especially if the zofran isn't working anymore!

MommaLEB 01-07-2013 03:31 PM

http://www.helpher.org/mothers/hyper...ness/index.php

You should absolutely make an appointment. The headaches are very possibly related and due to dehydration. HG exists on a continuum, but the basic keys are that nausea and vomiting significantly interfere with your daily life and cause you to lose at least 5% of your body weight. You might have HG or just NVP, but you should talk to your doctor about thresholds for getting more treatment or IVs.

ingrid5699 01-08-2013 07:07 AM

What MommaLEB said. If the nausea and vomiting interfere with your daily life it's at least severe NVP or mild HG and warrants getting it checked and probably some sort of treatment.

MrsCrafty 01-08-2013 07:59 AM

Yes call the Dr! Mine has an ongoing order, so if I feel dehydrated I just call the infusion nurse and go in. Also request a different med. zofran didn't help me, but phenergan did. Everyone's different. :hugs:

Christylkeller 01-08-2013 04:03 PM

I also found that unisom and b6 were very effective in helping keep me from HG which I have had in every other pregnancy but this current one. I took that at night and zofran during the day. Make sure you get the ODT zofan too... it dissolves in your mouth and starts getting absorbed into your system before it reaches your stomach. When I had the regular zofran, I would often puke within minutes of taking it...

elioraimmanuel 01-08-2013 04:21 PM

I had HG w/C1. Phernergan helped, but I was knocked out. Zofran only so-so. I had tons of IV's....at one time 6 bags.

I've had the headaches your body is Magnesium depleted. I took Magnesium Malate, which absorbs better and won't give you the runs. 600-1000 mg/day. I suggest getting Electro Mix (Alacer), mixing it to 1/2 strength and sipping it. I find Raw Prenatals (Garden of Life....Amazon) are the easiest on my stomach. HTH!

s@hmommy 01-08-2013 04:31 PM

I think I am going to at least call and see if I can try something different with the medicine. Phenergan actually makes me sick, so that one is out. I am not sure or not if there is another strength of Zofran. When I can keep it down it does seem to help a little so I will defiantly ask about the dissolving one. At this point any amount of relief would be a blessing.

Christylkeller 01-08-2013 04:45 PM

There are 2 different strengths of zofran... 4 mg and 8 mg. I get the 8mg ODT and break them in half. I always have the option of taking the other half if needed, but I haven't needed to yet and it stretches my copay buck a whole lot further!

cowangel 01-09-2013 06:43 PM

Try the oral dissolving tablets too...they are easier to not puke up. There r other options like regeland and compazine too. Regeland can even be combined with zofran. Call and ask the Dr otherwise they don't know u r feeling bad. I have been on the phone with the nurse almost every day for the last few weeks try to get my all day sickness under control. There is also a zofran pump if none of the oral meds work...I am working with insurance to try to get that approved now...good luck mama don't give up and don't just try to tough it out...there's help use it!