Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Absence seizures?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479019)

BCGamerMom 01-07-2013 03:45 PM

Absence seizures??

Anyone deal with these "mini seizures" my dd has started sort of gapping out lately and yesterday when she did it she started to twitch. My doc has put in a referral to a pediatrician for her to get it checked out but it's kind of freaky watching her just sort of check out several times a day.

mibarra 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Also called "petite mal" seizures. They can look like just "spacing out", but you can come back confused and disoriented, and it can affect learning so definitely worth getting checked out.

mamashhon 01-21-2013 12:46 PM

My DS has them. It was a long road to diagnosis of epilepsy because he is autistic, so they were blaming the episodes on that. But abnormal EEGs later we finally got the confirmation we needed. He just had an MRI to rule out anything else, we get those results on Wednesday. We're not sure what we're going to do about meds yet, though.

iris0110 01-21-2013 01:39 PM

Re: Absence seizures??

I have peti mal or absence seizures. They started suddenly when my youngest was 2 years old. We still don't know what caused them, possibly trauma from delivery, possibly genetics (apparently I have a few distant relatives with epilepsy). I can still vividly remember the very first time it happened. I was standing in my SIL's kitchen watching Tharen eat a cupcake and then it was like the room disappeared. I do not know what these events are like for everyone but for me it is like some one took a box of pictures and dumped them in front of me. I can see each image for a split second, long enough to think "I recognize that from somewhere" but no long enough to remember it later. Each episode lasts between 20seconds and a minute and I may or may not make noises (sometimes I freeze on a word and continue making the sound of syllable I was on) or wind up disoriented when I "come back". The first several seizures were distressing because I had no idea what was happening to me and I thought I was losing my mind. After I knew what they were I was less disturbed by them. I do get seizure auras, feelings like my brain is on fire or feelings of deja vu. It took almost 2 years for me to find adequate treatment. The first neurologist I saw was not particularly helpful and wanted me to spend a week or more in a hospital setting on monitors to try to trace the seizures. I have two kids that need some one to watch them and I just couldn't do it. She also didn't want to explain why I would want to take medication that is considered rather toxic for seizures that were not in my mind effecting my life. My second neurologist did two EEG's and was happy with the results from those. He was also able to explain why I would want to get treatment. I have been seizure free for over 2 years.

anrmom21 01-21-2013 01:56 PM

My ds has them and he also has grand mal seizures as well. We didn't realize he was having the absence seizures until he had his first grand mal seizure. We have had several seizures since then and is on medication now. It is hard to watch him have a seizure and know that there is nothing you can do to help. That is the worst feeling in the world to me. If you need someone to talk to feel free to pm me.

amegrl520 01-22-2013 07:27 AM

We are in the same situation. We think my dd might be having them as well. We are going for the eeg thursday.

BCGamerMom 04-07-2013 11:19 PM

We have finally seen the pediatrician. DD had three seizures during the office visit. The doctor is confident it is seizure activity and on Tuesday we are going in for an EEG to figure out if they are absence or complex partials.

Rdesonia 04-07-2013 11:50 PM

My dd had them as a newborn. Finally, she had a one sided seizure with jerking and we got an eeg. Doctor didn't believe me even though I worked with disabled adults and saw a zillion seizures. But we were seeing a ped neuro already and got an eeg within days. DD already had an MRI at that point. EEg confirmed one sided abnormality. She went on Kepra. She was spaced out (unresponsive to light sound and touch) and considered developmentally disabled. I was told she would probably never talk & to be expecting to change her diapers for life.
She looked at me for the first time the day after going on the meds. She was a completely different baby. The nonstop screaming finally stopped. She had 3 seizures after medication. Currently she is meeting all milestones at 21 months and potty training. Her last seizure was Dec 2011. She just had an eeg last week and it was normal. We are currently weaning her off meds! Just thought I'd share a happy story as I was scared beyond belief at first even though I "knew" what to do and was trained to deal with seizures, etc. It was amazing to see her start to learn as soon as she got on medication.

I highly recommend getting the seizures on camera if you can as that will help the neuro.

BCGamerMom 04-08-2013 08:36 AM

Thank you, I'm not sure when we will get to actually see a neurologist. We are working with a pediatrician now and the system here is a little different but I will try and get some on tape. Shouldn't be too hard since she usually has clusters of three in 10-15 minutes.

anrmom21 04-08-2013 04:00 PM

Just wanted to add that we found out that certain essential oils trigger my sons seizures.