Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fever and daycare policies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479041)

firsttimeclothmomma 01-07-2013 05:03 PM

Fever and daycare policies

I am fortunate in that I have a fairly flexible DCP but I'm having issues with the winter/teething/whatever with LO. He will wake up fine, and we drop him off and go to work. But by 10 or 11 a.m. he's spiked a 102 fever. This has happened a few times.

She doesn't mind giving him something to make him comfortable and/or putting him down for a nap (he usually goes down around 12) if the time is close enough. I go get him, of course, as soon as I can. But this is obviously affecting my work. Sometimes it's just viral. He's had I think two minor ear infections since birth that warranted antibiotics. Otherwise it could just be teething, but policies are policies and I don't want to overstep my boundaries.

Not sure what to do or how to 'diagnose' LO at 6 a.m. when he's not showing any signs except a small runny nose. I want to take care of my child but I also can't keep leaving work mid-morning.

Tonight his temp was 100.2 before bed. I wouldn't call that a problem - but if it's the same in the a.m., should he be staying home?
How do you other mamas handle this?

kimb96 01-07-2013 05:19 PM

Re: Fever and daycare policies

I wouldn't send him tomorrow if he had a fever today. I don't send ds to school when he has been sick until he is 24 hours without a fever.

TinyHineyDiapers 01-07-2013 05:44 PM

It depends on what other symptoms they are showing. My dcp is very flexible too, her only real rule is if they are throwing up they are not allowed in. Everything else is case by case. If its teething or an ear infection that's not contagious and as long as they are not screaming all day I would send. I'd it's happening a lot you may want to make a trip to the dr though!

3Xblessed 01-07-2013 05:49 PM

If he is 100 when he wakes up, I wouldn't send him. It is annoying but its part of being a WOHM. I am a teacher and today was our first day back after winter break. Wouldn't you know it, my youngest came down with a fever yesterday. Thankfully MIL came in today. If she has one tomorrow morning I will be staying home, if its still there then its dh's turn.

armywife2002 01-07-2013 05:55 PM

I know the daycare I work at (and this is licensing standards) its that they have to be fever free for 24 hours. unless you get a dr's note saying its nothing contagious. if you're sure its teething, and there are no other symptoms, maybe you can get your doc to write a note, and maybe prescribe some tylenol or something, so its official

luvsviola 01-07-2013 06:57 PM

Most places are fever free 24 hours. That is the public school rules too.

doodah 01-07-2013 07:03 PM

Are you SURE there is not something else going on here? If he has been struggling with a fever off and on for awhile, I would go ahead and take him to the ped, just in case. How high are his fevers getting?

Anyway, I do understand the frustration with having a sick child, especially something that you feel is minor. Each daycare has its own policies. The benefit of a strict provider is that they are being strict with everyone, not just you, so your own child is exposed to less. Those providers that rarely send anyone home WILL be keeping sick kids in care.....WITH your kid! So its something to consider. I know one provider that does not send home unless a child has diarrhea that cant be contained by a diaper. She keeps everyone else. That puts the whole group at risk for a variety of things (and she has had some nasty things go through the daycare) and also increases her work load because she is caring for ill children and has less time for those that are healthy. There are pros and cons to every type of provider. The main thing though is that dealing with sick kids and missing work is just part of the deal for a WOHM.

mrseum 01-07-2013 08:00 PM

My kiddos only clues @ the begining of the flu where on again off again fevers, a runny nose & then cough. I'd wait until it was gone a full 24 hrs without needing to give meds.

Suzi 01-07-2013 08:14 PM

Our daycare called a fever anything 101 or over. they had to be fever free without any medicine for 24 hours to come back to daycare so they almost always had to miss the next day.

sojomisa 01-07-2013 08:37 PM

When I used daycare it was fever free for 24 hours which usually meant an early pick up the first day AND missing the next day. My dh and I would take turns staying home.