Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How much milk to send (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479083)

1healthylady 01-07-2013 07:21 PM

You'd think I'd have it figured out after a month, but still I don't know what to do. Common sense tells me I should just send the milk I pumped the day before, but I'm so worried it won't be enough. Sometimes I'm sure its not. They say she's always hungry. But when she's tired she sticks her fists in her mouth and acts hungry. When the main teacher is in the room they space her feedings out more. When she's out they just keep feeding her. Last week she had 7 oz within 45 minutes!

She's not a good morning eater so I pump in the morning, then wake her up to feed her. Go to work/DC, I have morning and afternoon pump breaks. DH picks her up and if she's sleeping when I get home I pump, otherwise I just feed her. I don't know if I'm pumping enough throughout the day to keep my supply up and keep her satisfied. I can't keep sending extra milk 'just in case's because my freezer stash is dwindling and they keep feeding her everything.

Is it possible to increase my supply while pumping without taking more breaks? I could add a pump session during lunch, but it couldn't be every day. How long should I pump for? I usually go for 15 mins even though milk stops flowing after about 10. I have a manual pump for home (best purchase!), and double electric for work (which makes me feel like a cow).

What works for you? I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be...

From the phone.

IowaGold 01-07-2013 08:00 PM

I usually aim to send one more bottle than I expect her to eat. I do have a small frozen emergency stash that I keep at daycare but luckily they've only needed to thaw milk a couple of times. I'm lucky, the dcp are pretty good about not overfeeding and dd isn't too demanding. If your dcp are saying she always hungry I would be very concerned that they are likely to overfeed. Hopefully you can have a good discussion about trying to soothe your baby other ways than sticking a bottle in her mouth!

Nerissa 01-08-2013 03:20 AM

Re: How much milk to send

Each baby is going to be different but here is what I do.

DD is 3.5 months. I leavve 3 4oz bottles that she takes while I am at work. I went back to work at 8 weeks. I tried less sin each bottle since she was eating every two hours but the DD just got more frutraited and I ended up with a frustraited DH and DCP so I went back to the 3.5 to 4 oz. Both DCP and DH are good about offering other soothing but it doesnt always work.

I feed her between 4 and 5:30 depending on if she wakes jp or if I have to wake her up to eat before leaving for work.

She does most of her eating in the morning and eats about every two hours at home too. She STTN 95% of the time also.

I blovk feed so I pump the side she doesnt eat from each morning and pump twice at work.

On saturday ans Sunday I set my alarm for 4am and pump both sides and get about 10oz each day.

1healthylady 01-08-2013 10:07 AM

I sent her with a pacifier today hoping that might help them soothe her when she's tired and not really hungry. We're not huge fans of the pacifier, but would rather have that than a thumb-sucker (you can take the paci away, not the thumb) or an overfed baby. I pumped 16oz yesterday, my most to date, and split that into 4 4oz bottles, which is what she had eaten yesterday. Here's hoping that's enough!

Van1300 01-08-2013 05:26 PM

I am struggling with this as I am getting ready to go back to work Friday. I sent my 2 month old guy to school today and yesterday for a few hours, with a 4oz bottle. I pumped 4 oz. Tomorrow I am going to send him with two 3.5 oz bottles. That is what I pumped today. He drinks the bottles and ends up in such a milk coma, he seems to be sleeping through most of the day. I am hoping as he gets used to the bottles, he will be more awake :)

We use paci's too. And I told the caregivers to offer whenever they want. I don't want him to suck his hand.

cuddlebunny_24 01-08-2013 05:50 PM

My suggestion is to send one or two more bottles than what you think she will use. It also never hurts to have a bag or two of frozen milk in the freezer just in case there is a reason why you were not able to pump enough, she eats more, or there is an emergency that requires another family member to pick her up. From my experience working with infants in the daycare setting some parents over stock for their child to the extreme (like you think you need a whole fridge just for one kid) while you have some parents that bring just enough for the day and you are hoping that three bottles will be enough for those 6 or 7 hours. I would rather be in the middle and have enough thawed for the day with a little bit of wiggle room.

Van1300 01-08-2013 07:31 PM

Ya I do have two bags stashed in the freezer at daycare. I have another 8 in my freezer. Not a huge stash. I actually need to pump more.

keen1981 01-08-2013 07:34 PM

Look at the milk calculator on kellymom.com

7 ounces in 45 minutes is insanity for a breastfed baby

1healthylady 01-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16133026)
Look at the milk calculator on kellymom.com

7 ounces in 45 minutes is insanity for a breastfed baby

My thoughts exactly. I was not happy when they told me she finished all her milk that day (11oz between 7:45 and 1pm) and then when I saw her feeding schedule on the checkout sheet.

I used the milk calculator and it looks like 4x4oz bottles are what she needs, so I'll keep sending that. I really don't want to send extra because they might just feed her.

I hadn't thought of keeping a frozen bag of milk there in case. We have to have our bottles all ready to go, they don't do bags, but I wonder if having an emergency bag would be good.

I only have 6 bags frozen left in my freezer. We went through sooo much wasted frozen milk in the first month because she wouldn't take a bottle at first, then I was just trying to figure out how much to send. Somehow I need to figure out how to increase that frozen stash. It makes me nervous!

Van1300 01-09-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady (Post 16136300)
Somehow I need to figure out how to increase that frozen stash. It makes me nervous!

This is me. I know I am going to be gone all day April 6th. For a road race in the morning and then a wedding the rest of the day. I need to work on my freezer stash just for that day! My LO will be 5 months then.

I looked at the Kellymom calculator too. And since my little guy is still nursing just abut every 3 hours, 8 feedings a day, then we should be good with three 3 oz bottles.