Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Group B Strep (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479142)

MrsFields 01-07-2013 11:23 PM

Group B Strep
 
I'm 37 weeks pregnant today and tested positive for Group B Strep. I would like to refuse the antibiotic IV and I'm wondering if I refuse it and my baby is infected at birth, what happens next? Does she get an antibiotic shot to simply treat it, or does it require something much more extensive?

tinytushi 01-07-2013 11:31 PM

Re: Group B Strep
 
Well I am not 100% what they would do today, but 10 years ago they did IV's. I had my daughter too fast to receive antibiotics and she caught it from me. We had to stay longer in the hospital to make sure she was not infected. Turns out she was. They put her on IV's for 3 days and she has bad eye sight in one eye from the infection. There are several other really bad side effects some of which are life threatening caused from a newborn catching group B. I personally would take the antibiotics just because it would be less going into baby than IV's and I feel guilty over my DD's eyesight even though there was nothing I could of done to prevent it from happening.

mg5g 01-08-2013 01:10 AM

Re: Group B Strep
 
I would seriously consider your decision to refuse...

It isn't a simple "give the baby a shot" and everything will be fine thing. Your baby will go through MUCH stricter monitoring if you are positive and don't get both doses of antibiotics. You will have to stay in the hospital longer or at least baby will even if baby ISN'T SICK and could end up in a fight with the Dr if you try to take baby home sooner AMA.

If baby catches it then baby has to have the IV for several days and may end up being in NICU without you. Your baby may even end up with the IV in their scalp - DS1 had to have his there (not for Strep B though) they had to shave his head because they coudn't get a vein anywhere else and his hair didn't grow back for almost 2 years.

I know some mom's want to use holistic approaches but in this instance IMO it just isn't worth the risk to your child who could honestly die. Strep B shouldn't scare you with proper medical care but it is a serious condition that can not be ignored either. I've been treated four times - my first I went into early labour before I had the test so they treated me as a positive - the other three I was positive (one birth I wasn't). It isn't terrible to get the IV on a saline lock so you can still move around - I don't love it but my discomfort is worth baby avoiding it.

DS3 I didn't get enough doses in because my labour was too fast and he got sick - we avoided NICU but had to have hourly round the clock temperature checks for four days - not a relaxing babymoon by any stretch of the imagination.

BeccaSueCongdon 01-08-2013 01:23 AM

Since you have tested positive, that will be noted in your chart. If you refuse the antibiotics, baby will be strictly monitored and will probably undergo a spinal tap and other invasive procedures. Especially if you or baby spikes a fever (which can happen if you get an epidural).

I've been GBS positive both times. I got the abx first time, no big deal. Second time I was home and didn't get them. Baby was born in her caul so she didn't get exposed to it. Then I met a lady online whose baby contracted it and died of sepsis. :-(. It's a highly effective and comparatively low risk preventative measure that will save you further invasive testing.

AniMommy 01-08-2013 04:27 AM

There is a current thread on l&d called refused antibiotics and regretted it. Scroll down a bit. For me, I was positive and got ABX. DD was born and had a low temp 18 hrs after birth (a poss sign of GBS infection). She was in NICU for 4 days being monitored. She had a feeding tube and nasal o2.

Can't imagine my guilt if I had declined ABX. Ultimately she was fine. Neither of us had side effects from ABX treatment.

~happy2Bamommy~ 01-08-2013 06:15 AM

Re: Group B Strep
 
I am one that tested positive. I did some reading and then declined antibiotics based on my prior birthing experiences (they are very fast births,water breaks right before baby arrives etc)

I treated myself pretty heavily with natural things (garlic,probiotics internally and hibicleans as a wash leading to labor and during labor)

Internal checks were pretty much refused. I allowed one when I made it through transition. My water breaks on its own etc. Lots of little things can be done to help minimize risk.

I treat myself as if I am GBS positive with all pregnancies now. I don't trust the test anymore. I learned many people test positive at 36-37 weeks only to be negative later. The really scary thing is that there can be negatives at 36-37 weeks to then be positive at birth. The way they test is very flawed IMHO as the colonization levels of GBS can change fairly quickly.

We very closely monitor our newborns. A chart is kept of temps (taken every two to three hours round the clock for the first 3 to 4 days of life.We watch bowels,skin color etc.)

All that said, If you are laboring in a hospital, I would get the antibiotics. The steps I take to help ensure a safer birth for myself and my child would most likely not be allowed in a hospital setting.

ulawolf 01-08-2013 06:22 AM

I am a mom who's child got group b strep. It is horrible and monitoring is great but that does t account for the says, months, and possibly years of sickness your child can go through. I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally risk it. I just don't. It is very real. My poor baby had.to have a spinal. Had to have tubes down her throat. Had a fever of over 105 and so many more things. It is horrendous to watch yiur child go through this.

steph410 01-08-2013 06:51 AM

Re: Group B Strep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsFields (Post 16129293)
I'm 37 weeks pregnant today and tested positive for Group B Strep. I would like to refuse the antibiotic IV and I'm wondering if I refuse it and my baby is infected at birth, what happens next? Does she get an antibiotic shot to simply treat it, or does it require something much more extensive?

at my hospital with my 3rd baby (when I had tested positive for group b strep), I was in labor and was trying to decide to get antibiotics or not, they told me that if I did not get them, the baby would have to stay at the hospital for 10 days (most of that without me obviously) for close observation. I quickly decided to get the antibiotics.

steph410 01-08-2013 06:52 AM

Re: Group B Strep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawolf (Post 16129597)
I am a mom who's child got group b strep. It is horrible and monitoring is great but that does t account for the says, months, and possibly years of sickness your child can go through. I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally risk it. I just don't. It is very real. My poor baby had.to have a spinal. Had to have tubes down her throat. Had a fever of over 105 and so many more things. It is horrendous to watch yiur child go through this.


oh no, I'm so sorry for this mama. I completely agree with you!!

ulawolf 01-08-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph410

oh no, I'm so sorry for this mama. I completely agree with you!!

Thanks. I have pushed for more natural deliveries and less medical interference with all five of my children. However after experiencing that with my first child I am a huge advocate of getting the antibiotics. I was still able to have very natural births. I had my 4th baby too fast for both doses and did end up having to say for four more days but all the rest I had the iv and walked around and labored very natural. My midwife for two of my births was very helpful with great ways to labor while the iv was in. I really don't feel it took away from my natural labors. None of my babies (except first one who was on antibiotics for the first year Due to being constantly sick) got thrush even once.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors