Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Should I buy a breadmaker? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479177)

lilylove 01-08-2013 07:10 AM

Should I buy a breadmaker?

Any thoughts on which one is a good one? I would love to start making bread.

ProudCoastieWife 01-08-2013 07:44 AM

Re: Should I buy a breadmaker?

Not sure about brand as I'm on vacation and can't remember the brand name, but having a bread machine is totally worth it!!!!!

MDever 01-08-2013 07:48 AM

Have you checked into no knead bread? There are lots of resources online and books available. I have otten much better bread with that method than a bread maker. I have the book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and it is great.

Ontariomama 01-08-2013 08:11 AM

I have a 2lb tall machine and I still take it out after the doigh cycle and put it in bread pans.

I saw one over Christmas that is long, so makes loaves that LOOK like bread you'd buy - my oldest is a strange bird and won't eat anything he deems to not "look right". lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MelandMack 01-08-2013 10:48 AM

I have one I bought at a thrift store for $10. I love to use it to mix and knead the bread, I then take the bread out and bake it in my own pans.

BESMama 01-08-2013 11:34 AM

I had a bread maker, but every now and then I got a flat/dense loaf, which was frustrating because its a waste of time and ingredients. Then I tried the Artsian Bread in 5 minutes a day and it makes WONDERFUL bread, but not sandwich sized bread.

What I like best is using my kitchen aid with the dough hook (as I won't knead bread by hand) and then plop it into "normal bread" pans.

I would say if you are "on the fence", buy one at a thrift store/craigslist/garage sale and see how often you use it and whether you like it before investing in a brand new one.

Good luck!

qsefthuko 01-08-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 16129842)
Have you checked into no knead bread? There are lots of resources online and books available. I have otten much better bread with that method than a bread maker. I have the book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and it is great.

For a beginner or even someone with experience but no time or perhaps desire the no kneed breads are great. I have the above mentioned book and love it. I liked it so well I went back and bought 4 more to give to my bread loving friends and family. I love to use the peasant bread recipe and add a wholes clove of garlic when mixing the dough. Then when I set it to rise I brush with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning. I then gently pat to slightly press in the seasonings. Otherwise they really all just blow off. I have baked up the whole batch this way in one day. 2 days later my family of 5 finished the last of it.

They also have a newer book out I am dying to get my hands on. Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I did have a bread machine. When we moved from northern Illinois to southern Illinois I gave it to a neighbor as I didn't like using it. I think I tried it once. Some people love their bread machines so it is really more personal preference.

Rdesonia 01-08-2013 02:27 PM

Have you ever tried bread machine bread? Depending on the bread machine you end up with this weird round not so great bread. I use mine to kneed and mix the bread but not to bake it. (I got mine under $5 at a thrift store! )

stevensmom 01-08-2013 02:30 PM

I love my bread machine! I got it for Christmas and we made bread everday for a week :)

RJ6Mommy 01-08-2013 03:55 PM

I had an expensive bread maker that made "Normal Looking Bread" and it sucked we had it for years without using it. Now i have bought 5 thrift store tall loaf bread makers all different brands and all worked great. I bought them made sure they worked well and gave them to my siblings. I still have two and use them almost daily. Sometimes you have to try different recipes till you know what you like.

Totally check your thrift stores first.