Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Questions about re-lactating for adoption (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479217)

Pea_inthepod 01-08-2013 09:13 AM

Questions about re-lactating for adoption

Hello!

We are waiting to adopt a newborn here locally. We have not been picked yet, but basically we could either get picked by a birth mom at any time, who could be at any stage in her pregnancy, OR we could get a call at any time that there is a baby waiting for us at the hospital (from someone who decided after birth to place the baby)

I am wanting to re-lactate. I just don't know if I should start the process NOW with domperidone and pumping or if I should wait until we get the baby and just supplement. I guess my questions is for those who have re-lactated before, how quickly would my milk come in if I waited to have the baby and start at that point? I could use a SNS and use donated milk until my own milk came in.

I would to start now, but in reality, we could be waiting a year or more (its unlikely...but it could be longer) and I don't want to be pumping for that long and not have a baby to feed.

Btolleson 01-08-2013 11:50 PM

Firstly, I just want to say how awesome that is that you're wanting to give your child that liquid gold! Way to go Mama! I don't have any experience in this but I have read that however long you have been without lactation is about the same amount of time it will take to re-lactate...I don't know how accurate this is though. I would definitely go the breastfeeding route and try SNS and (if milk isn't in yet) use donated milk. If you do end up having to pump for awhile before baby arrives, would it be realistic to donate and maybe just pump enough so you're not engorged or pumping every few hours? Like maybe just keep your supply mild enough so you're not uncomfortable, but still lactating just until he/she arrives?

Pea_inthepod 01-09-2013 09:52 AM

Re: Questions about re-lactating for adoption

Its been about 4 years since I stopped nursing...probably 3 years since I had NO milk. BUT, I had an enormous supply when I was nursing, so I am hoping that will help me at least produce SOME for this baby!

That is a really good idea about donating it! I could probably just take it slowly and see if I can get ANY milk at all, and keep that going until we have the baby and then (just from increased demand) it should go up...right?

leyash 01-09-2013 10:08 AM

Re: Questions about re-lactating for adoption

What about starting now, and freezing it? It can last 6 months in the freezer (from what I've heard), so that will put you that much further ahead if you already have some frozen and get a call in 4 months.

FindingMercy 01-09-2013 12:51 PM

Are you active now with your agency? Are you planning on doing hormones to simulate pregnancy before switching over to pumping? I'm lactating and breast feeding my 6 month old son whom we adopted. I was thankfully still lactating when we were matched, so for me I just had to up my supply instead of starting from scratch. Even with that though, I started pumping a year before he was born to keep my supply up where it would need to be. Milk will keep in a deep freeze for a year, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to start now and just save what you get in case you need to supplement. Then, as it gets within a couple mons of expiring you can donate it if you don't need it.

Good luck! Being able to nurse right away after he was born was so good for our bonding.

MamaZnR 01-09-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy
Are you active now with your agency? Are you planning on doing hormones to simulate pregnancy before switching over to pumping? I'm lactating and breast feeding my 6 month old son whom we adopted. I was thankfully still lactating when we were matched, so for me I just had to up my supply instead of starting from scratch. Even with that though, I started pumping a year before he was born to keep my supply up where it would need to be. Milk will keep in a deep freeze for a year, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to start now and just save what you get in case you need to supplement. Then, as it gets within a couple mons of expiring you can donate it if you don't need it.

Good luck! Being able to nurse right away after he was born was so good for our bonding.

That is so sweet

FrozenBooty 01-11-2013 10:58 AM

I want to say start sooner than later because the process of relactating can be long to actually build supply

That said there is a lot of emotional ups and downs with adoption and keeping it up for a year or longer may be emotionally trying.