Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   EC regression...what do to? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479318)

Marmotka 01-08-2013 12:57 PM

EC regression...what do to?

I started EC ing with my son at 2.5 months. It took about one week for him to understand he could pee or poo over the potty or toilet when I cued him. He therefore started pooping and peeing on the potty when I gave him the opportunity (but of course only when he had to go). But if I didnt (e.g. while travelling, shopping) he would still go in his diaper. And everytime I held him over the potty, he would at least try to go (he grunts and tries to push something out). But ECing did not change his habits (he goes when he feels like it, whether I catch it or not).

He is now 6 months. For the last 2 months, I rarely ever catch a pee or a poo anymore. It's been weeks now with failed attempts. He seems to prefer to poop in his diaper because he knows I'll change him almost right away anyway...And very often he pees/poos in his diaper a few minutes after I've held him over the potty.
I originally thought babies preferred being clean and that he would learn to wait for the opportunity instead of going in his diaper. That's what my book said. So what is the next step after teaching your kid to associate audio cues? What can I do to make him prefer the potty?

BinahYeteirah 01-08-2013 05:30 PM

Re: EC regression...what do to?

Similar things happened with several of my kids. For the most part, you just have to go with the flow. Some kids are very sensitive to wetness and soil; others seem as if they couldn't care less, even if they've been ec'd from birth. In my experience, the EC journey will have ups and downs. You could have a kid who has very few misses at an early age; then a month or two later, he goes through a "potty pause" and refuses anything to do with the potty. None of my kids had a simple progression from using a diaper all the time to fewer and fewer misses to graduation. It was up and down, up and down, often with breakthroughs right when it seemed we weren't going anywhere.

I do try various things get out of a potty pause by changing something in my EC routine. I don't force, but I do whatever I can to get just one catch. I might try nursing while offering the potty to relax the baby and get him to go. I might use a new potty or offer in a new location or a new position. I might put my baby on the potty and read to him until he eventually goes. I found that I could often get over a hump like this with a single catch or a couple catches. The success is self-reinforcing. Concentrated effort and creative thinking often yields results, but don't drive yourself nuts. If it gets too annoying, take a break and come back to it fresh later. I've done that, too.

GL!

Soseemehere 01-08-2013 09:35 PM

I have been in your shoes. I applaud you for staying with the EC.... I know it is disheartening right now.

I ECed when my daughter was three months and then she stopped going for two months till she turned seven months and then has had her ups and down. I have ECed her part time, like you.

Trust me it gets better. It is there way of exercising control, I think....

Just stay with it. That is the only thing you can do. i stayed with it, my daughter has had several potty pauses. She is 18 months old now and way ahead of her peers....

Sakari 01-08-2013 11:15 PM

Well I thought I could come add something and be helpful, but you've already gotten awesome responses! I think variety is key.

EC is worth it - but not if it's stressful. Change something up for both of you - keep it fun!

Marmotka 01-10-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies! I feel much less discouraged by the situation. I guess I needed to hear that we're not the only ones. Books or websites on the subject always make it seem easier, or at least more linear in terms of progression. I will try to integrate your suggestions and report back.
Thanks again :-)

Sakari 01-10-2013 10:47 PM

I wrote a few things and popped them up on the web awhile ago if you're interested. lol www.ecisfun.com