Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Anyone have a lazy baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479511)

lilac0226 01-09-2013 12:49 AM

Anyone have a lazy baby?

My daughter is my 4th bio child. I could be in denial about her having a disability, however, I really think she is just calm and lazy. She is 8 months old, hates tummy time, screams after a minute or two, I let her scream for 5-10 minutes and she just cries. She doesn't really try to roll over, even though she can. She can sit up well, she grabs for things, and is very alert. She isn't really babbling sounds much, and she isn't eating baby food very well, it all still is mostly getting pushed out by her tongue. She is a happy baby most of the time and smiles non-stop. She is definitely reaching her mobility milestones behind 2 out of the 3 of my other children, but due to her calm nature that resembles my other child that was slow to crawl I'm not too worried. Her pediatrician today made me all worried and is referring my daughter to early intervention, so I'm trying to figure out if I really should be a lot more concerned. Anyone else have a child that was slow to crawl or babble? Should I really be worried at 8 months? Thanks.

BellaPepper 01-09-2013 01:08 AM

Kids can develop in there own time and she could be just fine. However I do think you per is right by sending her to early intervention. Try not to worry to much before the appt.

abunchoflemons 01-09-2013 01:13 AM

Re: Anyone have a lazy baby?

I don't think so. My two girls although they walked early...my oldest didn't crawl at all until way later, and my second was like I can get up faster to walk if I crawl to the couch or something to get up to walking position with. All kids do things at different paces. I think I heard of one younger sibling that didn't learn to crawl/walk til well after age 1 because older siblings did everything so baby I think was like "why should I have to learn to go anywhere fast if all of you wait on me hand foot?"

I would wait until later for evaluation unless as my husband put it, " if the doctor has a real basis for the recommendation then okay but otherwise a jerk".

tinytushi 01-09-2013 01:15 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. My DS was very similar. He didn't do things he really should have done by 8 to 9 months until between 14 and 18 months, including mobility issues. We too were sent for early intervention. They found nothing wrong except he was a little weak (probably from being lazy). We worked on therapy to strengthen him. Now almost 8 years later you can not tell he was behind or weak and he NEVER SHUTS UP, lol. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

Cdra 01-09-2013 01:29 AM

All my 3 kids crawled at 10 months. They all hated tummy time. They all did babble early on but im sure they disnt so something else per the pediatricians schedule. I wouldn't worry. My 13 month old still isn't walking and her dr. Didn't make a big deal about it at our visit yesterday.

twinpossible 01-09-2013 05:41 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. My twins were late with crawling and walking, they were micro-preemies which I am sure has something to do with the delay. They were crawling around 9 months and at 20 months are just now starting to walk. There are pros and cons to doing early intervention. Pros: you can have the PT show you exercises to do with her at home to build her up. Cons: you can fall down a "rabbits hole" with interventions and make a huge deal out of what may be nothing. My two cents it is to wait until she is a year old, if she has not made much improvement then make the call. Just so you know I had the PT show me exercises during my girls NICU stay...they may have helped but who knows? My doc was not worried at all about my girls and is still not worried. We just made a deal that if they are not walking really well by 2 then we will call in a PT.

dagmomma 01-09-2013 01:49 PM

ds1 never crawled but walked at nine months fs2 never walked until 14 months and we are still trying to get dd to walk--she is 17 months. She will holding on but just laughs and falls when you are not holding on to her.

Dr say she is fine and I can not see anything wrong--she does LOVE being carried though.

hollydawn 01-09-2013 07:38 PM

My ds is 15 months and still doesn't crawl or walk. He does scoot all over the house on his butt. He was a very fussy newborn so he rarely got put down. We got referred for a PT eval at 12 months because he refused to bear any weight on his legs and wouldn't roll over anymore even though he could do it previously.

He's been in PT for two months now. He is making strides but is still a long way from walking. PT doesn't see any problems besides low strength In legs. She just thinks he needs a little extra help.

At 8 months, I'm not so sure I would worry yet. Easier said than done though.

hollydawn 01-09-2013 07:39 PM

Dp.

hanhtam 01-10-2013 12:50 PM

At 8 months old , I wouldn't worry about it. My son didn't turn over and he didn't like tummy time either. He liked to sit and didn't walk until after he turned one year old.