Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wool setting on FLer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479527)

northknoxmomma 01-09-2013 07:15 AM

Wool setting on FLer

My LG fler has a wool setting, but I have never had the courage to use it with our wool. But, ds is a VERY active toddler who loves to sit in the dirt, so I really want to start washing them in the machine. Any experience, advice? Do you use a specific kind of detergent like Woolite or can I use Tide?

nonipie 01-09-2013 09:25 AM

Re: Wool setting on FLer

Don't use Woolite. If you want to get them clean from mud, food, etc. then yes I would use the Tide. Then they will have to be soaked and re-lanolized again of course. I do not have a FL or a wool setting but I wash all of my wool in the washer on the handwash setting. I have never had a problem with it. I use a bit of blue Dawn to clean them. I just don't have time to sit there and hand wash stuff anymore so I wait until it's all dirty and do a whole batch of about 8 woolies at once.

tomandkara 01-10-2013 12:07 AM

I wash interlock in the machine but I wouldn't personally do knitted wool in the machine for fear of felting it.

seacat 01-10-2013 12:17 AM

It's a little scary the first time:) I have a fler and do wool on the wool/hand wash cycle. I would have time to do it otherwise. It works awesome and gets everything really clean. I wash with Tide and Dawn for lano build up. I have knits and interlock.

savingmomof2boys 01-10-2013 07:25 AM

For those who do wash on this setting, do you use cold water? Also, after the wash do you take the wool out and do a lanolin soak in a seperated container?

northknoxmomma 01-10-2013 07:35 AM

Awesome! Thanks mamas! It has gotten to when I wash in the sink I have to wash/rinse several times to get all of the dirt out, and when you have a lot of wool, it is a PITA!

savingmom- When I push the button for wool/handwash it sets the temp to warm, I am sure other mamas can chime in to tell what theirs sets to. And I would definitely assume that yes, you need to take the wool and put in sink/basin/container/tub to lanolize.

Also- have you all ever had any problems with lanolin build up in your machine? Can I assume that it will not affect my other CDs? Do you run a tub clean afterwards or just not worry?

seacat 01-10-2013 12:40 PM

I wash mine on warm. It moves so slow I'm not worried about felting. I absolutely remove the wool from the washer and do a lano in our kitchen sink vs. do it in the washer. I've seen people do it in the washer, but that scares me and I soak overnight.

I haven't had any problems with lano build up in the washer because there usually isn't a ton on the wool by the time I wash it. No effect to my Cds. I've been doing it for about eight months or so. I don't run a clean cycle after either. Like I said I couldn't do wool without it. I washed six pieces last night in 30 min :)

TrennaII 01-10-2013 04:23 PM

Wow! You learn something new every day. I'm so glad you asked, I wouldn't have recommended anything but Eucalan, and am glad to know regular detergent works.

When they aren't really grimy, I heartily recommend using Eucalan in your FLer. I've had great results ... I used Imse Vimse machine washable wool covers, and never had to lanolize washing them in Eucalan.