Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should I try and get my kids chicken pox? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479539)

MamaWillow 01-09-2013 06:58 AM

Should I try and get my kids chicken pox?

Just found out last night that the chicken pox is here in my area. We don't vax for chicken pox. ODD had one does when she was a year old but that's it. A couple of years ago I thought she had it but had very few spots and DS didn't get anything. YDD is 19 months and I'm wondering if this is too young to try and get it, if I should wait another year?

Thing is, this is a really good time for this kids to be sick...I'm not in school and not working. I plan to go back to school or work sometime in the next year, so it would be less convenient. But, I don't want to have YDD get it if she's too young. She's still nursing and is quite needy right now, nursing like 10 times a day already, so I'm worried that it will be a nightmare if she's uncomfortable and itchy and wanting to nurse even more than she already does (I'm a little burned out on the nursing). But then again, maybe it would be nice to still be nursing as a means for comfort.

I also found out this morning that this place is over an hour away from me. I know that's a poor excuse, but an hour+ in the car is not easy for my toddler. Driving there and back would be tough on her (me too since she will be mad). Trying to decide if it's worth the drive.

Thoughts? Let's not make this a vax/no vax discussion, please.

ofthemoonsglow 01-09-2013 07:14 AM

If I was you, I would try to go get it. My mom exposed me a ton of times from age 2 until 10 and I never got it. My brother was 2 and I was 10 when we finally caught it. We are both un vaxed. I was worse then my brother and my mom was glad my brother was still nursing.
This was like 18 years ago whrn not everyone was vaccinated for the chicken pox too. So I say go just because its rare that people get the chicken pox anymore and it could be your only chance

3girlsallnaughty 01-09-2013 07:29 AM

Idk all my kids are vaxed but 3 out of 5 got it anyways. Ds2 was the first significant case on 5 years here. He had them head to toe. Then he got hand-foot-and mouth at the last few days of chicken pox. It was bad enough to leave scars. You could always have a titer drawn to check for natural immunity. I only had 5 pox as a kid but had a titer drawn for nursing school and I was good. I say do what you feel comfortable with.

HeatherM0529 01-09-2013 07:40 AM

Re: Should I try and get my kids chicken pox?

I would!
The vaccination doesn't prevent kids from getting it, it makes it so their cases are smaller.

l_Kimmie_l 01-09-2013 07:57 AM

I would do it. My oldest had it at 8 months old and it was easy. He was happy with a severe case even. I wish some one would get them here so I could expose my kids to it. THey are 4, 3 and 9 months. I would love for them to get it now.

NotLad 01-09-2013 08:55 AM

I wouldn't intentionally expose my kids. I would never forgive myself if there were a complication. And the scars? My sister still has scars on her face twenty years later.

homebirthmom 01-09-2013 08:59 AM

yes, I would do it. my kids got chicken pox from a cousin who was vaccinated and had 3 pox. all 3 got them at an age where they could itch/pick and they have scars. my youngest who was 3 at that outbreak has no scars. so I think under 6 is a good age.
I myself never had the pox and have been exposed many times so have a natural immunity.
I would recommend homeopathics when they get it as well as throat coat tea or vsc pills to lessen symptoms.

homebirthmom 01-09-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLad (Post 16134607)
I wouldn't intentionally expose my kids. I would never forgive myself if there were a complication. And the scars? My sister still has scars on her face twenty years later.

with or without the shot, the majority of people get it sometime in their life and if its not pox then its shingles. as you get older, the scaring is more prevalent. little kids heal quickly w no scars typically

nonipie 01-09-2013 09:05 AM

I would not intentionally expose them. DS1 and I both got it when he was 10 weeks old. He was still nursing and quite miserable. We cried because he so clearly felt bad and there was not much we could do other than try to make him comfortable. He does have scars. Not pleasant, not easy and not anything I would wish on my other children. If they get it, they get it but I'm not going to seek it out. I got it as well obviously as an adult. My case was actually less severe than his. Like a PP said what if your LO is in the percentage that has complications.

escapethevillage 01-09-2013 09:31 AM

I wouldn't do it right now. I've heard the flu is so bad that the hospitals don't even have room...so, if your kids have chicken pox and it's worse than what you expected, I think you could be in for a long difficult winter. It will lower their immunity for the whole winter. I'd consider it in spring, but not the beginning of cold and flu season.