Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Today is the day! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479576)

UnderTheStars 01-09-2013 09:19 AM

Today is the day!

Today is DS's evaluation with the autism team. My son has a track record of being "perfect" in front of doctors so that they can't really see what the problem is, so I have my notes ready and I hope everything goes ok. Wish us luck!

ktmelody 01-09-2013 09:37 AM

Good luck! Keep us posted!

AngelTV83 01-09-2013 09:37 AM

Hope he shows his true colors for the autism team today! Good luck!

Jen's_4 01-09-2013 10:42 AM

Re: Today is the day!

Good luck! We've still got six months to wait....it takes forever!

mibarra 01-09-2013 11:18 AM

Good luck!! If they're doing an ADOS it's much better at teasing that out. They have more trouble 'hiding' ;)

MrsCrafty 01-09-2013 11:25 AM

Good luck!!!

mommabritt 01-09-2013 11:31 AM

Good luck! My ds wasn't diagnosed until his second eval because he is such a great actor. ;)

UnderTheStars 01-09-2013 01:48 PM

:gah:

So, apparently, despite the fact that my appointment sheet said we were seeing "the team", and despite that he got a referral from his pediatrician, today's appointment was just an evaluation to see if he needed an evaluation. :headscratch: It was with just one doc (instead of the team that was listed on my sheet) - a developmental ped - who decided that yes, he DID need a formal evaluation. I said to her, "uh yeah, I sort of thought that's why we were here today?" She said that she just does preliminary evals to take some of the burden off of the childrens hospital. Ah, no wonder we got in so quickly. Looks like we're going to be waiting a few months for the ADOS test. Sigh...I was sort of hoping something came of this appointment to push our insurance in to covering his therapy...

ETA: The good news (I guess? lol) is that he did display some of the behaviors that I was trying to explain, but he did a surprisingly good job of following her directions and engaged her in endless conversation, so the combination of those made him fall into their "grey area".

luvsviola 01-09-2013 04:03 PM

Any time it says a team, you never really see everyone. Hospitals promise the world but scheduling usually messes up. :)

Suzi 01-09-2013 09:08 PM

That's a bummer! Are you sure insurance coverage will be better? Most private insurance will not covet anything that is for an autism diagnosis. I've known a lot of families that were getting some help when it was ADHD or something else but once they got a medical diagnosis on the spectrum that stopped.

Do you have an autism team through your school district? We actually do in nebraska and we are generally behind in those areas