Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help!! Night time feeding question. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479617)

GodLover 01-09-2013 11:07 AM

Help!! Night time feeding question.

I am posting this in this spot and another hoping to get some ideas. Our little guy just turned 1 year last month. Since birth he has never really slept thru the night always waking at least once or twice to eat even when we stopped nursing. A few nights here and there he will not wake-YAY! :lostit: however it is not consistant. So we have come to the issue where he is fully on cups, no bottle during the day but at night he still wakes for his milk and sadly he seems legitimately hungry he will kill the 8-9oz bottle. He is tiny so for a while to help with weaning we were mixing half formula and half almond milk hoping to wean for formula and bottles at the same time. Well ya NO he will not take milk from the cup at all he just wont do it. So at night we tried the cup and listened to him scream scream scream finally caved and gave the bottle back. No we dont give him his bottle in bed we get up every night 2x and make the bottle feed him then he goes back to bed.
So my question is how can I wean off the night feedings and the bottle, without losing my sanity :banghead:
Any ideas would be much appreciated :needcoffee:
THANKS!!

mibarra 01-09-2013 11:16 AM

Re: Help!! Night time feeding question.

Hmmmm... if he still seems legitimately hungry that's hard. You could try scheduled awakenings. Set you're alarm for 30 min-1 hour before he usually wakes up, and give him the bottle then, then keep moving the time up til he gets one before bed. Usually one feeding at a time. I've never done it, just read about it, so you should probably look into more, just my general description of what I've seen! :)

Nerissa 01-09-2013 11:28 AM

I am not sure. If he is only one and tiny I would probably keep going for awhile. Maybe start with just putting less in each bottle and keep going less and see if that works.

Does he eat/drink anyhting before bed. Maybe try something more filling before bed instead of milk. Like oatmeal.

As for night waking-- he may still wake up jsut for different reasons. I mean my kids are 5 and 3 and still wake up at night sometimes. usually to go to the bathroom., have a bad dream, get cold. They always come in and wake me up. Between them and the baby if I get 3 nights in a row I am happy.

palsmama 01-09-2013 11:32 AM

We have to remember that children continue to go thru growth spurts throughout toddlerhood. He is probably truly hungry. I say feed him and when he doesn't wake let him sleep. My DS went thru growth spurts till about 2 yo. I was still nursing him. He would do the same thing. Wake sometimes and sleep sometimes. Never consistent till about 2 yo. I always let him eat. Sometimes I would get him food like an apple or something. I know when I'm hungry at night I can not sleep , so I listen to my DS and get him food when he says he is hungry. Which now that he is 3 isn't very common. But from birth to 2 yo it was very common :)

l_Kimmie_l 01-09-2013 12:02 PM

He is still so little. 12 months is no magical cut off for night time feedings or bottles. I would just give him a bottle when he wakes. That is me though.

HerroKitty 01-09-2013 02:34 PM

My LO is 18 months and wakes twice a night for bottles still as well. Occasionally she will sleep all the way through, but it's rare. She was a reflux baby to start with and was on meds until 7 months. I really feel like she is still having reflux issues and that feeding at night gives her relief. There's so many reasons for night wakings. Hang in there mama

GodLover 01-09-2013 04:20 PM

ugh ok I will try less and suffer (lol) with the night feedings.
Yes he does he dinner with us then he will sometimes eat before he goes to bed and/ or have a bottle before bedtime. Then he still wakes around midnight and the early am for his bottle.
Thanks for the help mamas!

ChocoMeijin 01-09-2013 06:51 PM

If you wanted to cut off bottles you could try a sippy with a soft straw. Playtex makes one that's awesome!

GodLover 01-09-2013 09:41 PM

We have it =) he will drink thru it all day its more the night feedings I care about plus he wont drink milk in the cup at all stubborn boy!