Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479784)

Mollysmomma 01-09-2013 07:52 PM

How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Hello!!! I have some questions for you expert ladies! Today was my first day with all cloth and we survived! Even DH!

How is the best way to wash my dirty prefolds? Indian unbleached cotton. Already prepped. I like the idea of at some point doing a hot wash... But don't want staining so a warm rinse/soak first with detergent? Then a full hot wash cold rinse with soap? Can I put the covers in there through the hot wash or could that damage the PUL?

I'm about to put her to bed... What can I do to keep her dry at night with only prefolds and covers?

And can I use just regular old diaper cream with cotton?

THAAAANK YYYOOOOUUUU!!!!

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!

Pixi6s 01-09-2013 08:02 PM

Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Most people just start with a cold rinse no detergent. Then a hot wash with detergent and cold rinse. The PUL can go through the wash with them. Some people would line dry them or dry them lower temp. Some people dry on hot with no issues.

You shouldn't use regular diaper cream. Cloth friendly creams are usually oil based. I just use lanolin or olive oil, etc.

I've never used prefolds at night. I've heard you can use a newborn prefold as a doubler or 2 prefolds. Are you tri-folding or attaching it on with pin/snappi/ect?

To really achieve the feeling of dryness you might want to pick up some suede cloth or microfleece at the fabric store to make liners.

Good Luck and welcome

dagmomma 01-09-2013 08:08 PM

Cold wash Hot wash with detergent cold rinse

I bought a yard of fleece dirt cheap five yrs ago and made liners for stay dry. I still half the other half left and I am going on my fourth baby.

Mollysmomma 01-09-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma
Cold wash Hot wash with detergent cold rinse

I bought a yard of fleece dirt cheap five yrs ago and made liners for stay dry. I still half the other half left and I am going on my fourth baby.

That's a good idea. How did you do it? Just cut a bunch of layers and sew them together?

I have another rookie question. :D The fleece you're talking about... Is this just the blanket type of fleece? Or something different.... Thank you all for humoring me!! :-)

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!

Mollysmomma 01-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s
Most people just start with a cold rinse no detergent. Then a hot wash with detergent and cold rinse. The PUL can go through the wash with them. Some people would line dry them or dry them lower temp. Some people dry on hot with no issues.

You shouldn't use regular diaper cream. Cloth friendly creams are usually oil based. I just use lanolin or olive oil, etc.

I've never used prefolds at night. I've heard you can use a newborn prefold as a doubler or 2 prefolds. Are you tri-folding or attaching it on with pin/snappi/ect?

To really achieve the feeling of dryness you might want to pick up some suede cloth or microfleece at the fabric store to make liners.

Good Luck and welcome

Thank you!!

I've tried the bikini wrap. Hate it. Tried the "y" fold looking one and didn't care for it either. Currently doing a trifold on the short side. So far that's what I like. I only have the infant prefolds. Guess I could put two in there...?

qsefthuko 01-09-2013 08:30 PM

Warm pre rinse actually helps to prevent stains from setting in. I do hot wash and hot rinse.

dagmomma 01-09-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollysmomma (Post 16137560)
That's a good idea. How did you do it? Just cut a bunch of layers and sew them together?

I have another rookie question. :D The fleece you're talking about... Is this just the blanket type of fleece? Or something different.... Thank you all for humoring me!! :-)

[QUOTE=Mollysmomma;16137598]Thank you!!

I've tried the bikini wrap. Hate it. Tried the "y" fold looking one and didn't care for it either. Currently doing a trifold on the short side. So far that's what I like. I only have the infant prefolds. Guess I could put two in there...?

QUOTE]

I just cut them out the size of the diaper inside and did not sew anything.

Also Yeah the flece you would find on a sweater or blanket.

How old is baby? I like the jelly roll for prefolds. It is really the only one I use.

Mollysmomma 01-09-2013 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She's 2 months. Only 12 lbs and can't stand bulkiness in the diaper. She's currently mad at me for her fat diaper right now.

No idea what the jelly roll is. How do I find it?

Attachment 129734

dagmomma 01-09-2013 09:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnqqMzGHlo

you really do not need 2 prefolds if your lo is not a super socker.

Yesterday I put dd to bed in a prefold, hemp doubler (little weeds fron cotton babies) with a fleece liner. She slept the night and no leaks--oh I used a flip cover.

Mollysmomma 01-09-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnqqMzGHlo

you really do not need 2 prefolds if your lo is not a super socker.

Yesterday I put dd to bed in a prefold, hemp doubler (little weeds fron cotton babies) with a fleece liner. She slept the night and no leaks--oh I used a flip cover.

I don't have two prefolds in there... I have a thin insert that I out inside the trifold because I'm not sure what the fabric is and didn't want to put it against her skin.

So you're just using a thin layer of fleece on too because the wetness passes through and keeps her feeling dry? I don't have any doublers yet...

I was told no synthetic fiber directly against the skin.......... Is fleece an exception?