Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sleeping through the night (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479816)

happysmileylady 01-09-2013 10:39 PM

Sleeping through the night

My little guy will be 3 months old this weekend. And he's already sleeping through the night pretty consistently. I have been pretty lucky with all my BF babies in that they tend to sleep all night pretty early.

Thing is, I don't remember when it's ok to stop pumping in the middle of the night.

With DD2, she was sttn at just 2 weeks, going over 6 hrs. She was 12 hrs solid before 2 months, but we had a lot of issues BFing. I was getting up to pump in the middle of the night, twice a night, until we gave up BFing at 5.5 months.

I honestly don't remember the situation with DD3. She has always been really easy going and we nursed until a year. I remember she STTN pretty early too, but I don't remember when. I don't remember pumping in the middle of the night at all.

So, question is, when can I STTN with the baby?

GEMQEMCABOOSE 01-09-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Sleeping through the night

Um, I always have? Mine have all gone at least 8 hours without eating by 10 weeks. Mine have all gone 5-6 hours by 4 weeks. I have never gotten up to pump. I have always maintained a nursing or pumping session just before I go to bed around10-11pm until weaning. GL!

Btolleson 01-10-2013 04:43 AM

Why would you need to pump at night if baby is sleeping? Are you trying to increase supply? I'm sorry, could you explain your question?

HeatherlovesCDs 01-10-2013 06:59 AM

Like I always say, we live parallel lives. :giggle:

My babies all slept through the night early too. Mine has been doing it since 7 wks. He now sleeps 8-9 hrs. I have had supply issues in the past too. So, I understand that fear of losing your supply if you go to long. I want to get up at night, but just can't seem to do it. I ignore my alarm and go back to sleep. :hide: What I do, which is working, is pump before I go to bed around 11 each night. He usually wakes up around 6am to nurse. So, it's about 7 hrs without nursing/pumping. I try not to go over 8 hrs though sometimes I do. When I do, I'm really full. Today, I'm super full because for whatever reason, he did not do his constant nursing from 6pm to 10 or 11. He fell asleep around 9pm. I got him up and nursed him at 11, but he only took one side and it wasn't drained. I knew I should have gotten up to pump, but I'm fighting a stomach virus and my back is hurting. I didn't want to pump. I was in pain this morning. :giggle:

If I were you, I'd not go over 8hrs if you can help it. Other than that, I'd start sleeping unless you need the freezer stash. I'd love to get up and take advantage of the night time fullness for my freezer. (I'm paranoid about my supply and build as big a stash as possible for supplementing in case my supply tanks.)

Congrats on a sleeping baby! It's wonderful!

happysmileylady 01-10-2013 07:27 AM

I am not currently concerned about supply, just maintaining it. He sleeps between 8 and 12 hours most nights (last night, after I posted, he woke up twice to get "a snack" lol) and I am concerned about going that long without nursing. He usually nurses some time between 6pm and 8pm, and then he falls asleep for the night. Then he's not usually up until some time between 4am and 6am.

happysmileylady 01-10-2013 07:27 AM

I am not currently concerned about supply, just maintaining it. He sleeps between 8 and 12 hours most nights (last night, after I posted, he woke up twice to get "a snack" lol) and I am concerned about going that long without nursing. He usually nurses some time between 6pm and 8pm, and then he falls asleep for the night. Then he's not usually up until some time between 4am and 6am.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-10-2013 07:47 AM

All I'm trying to do is maintain as well. No supply issues at this point. Mine sleeps about 8 hrs most nights, sometimes 9. I try not to go over 8 without stimulation from either baby or pump. Just pump a couple hours after he goes to sleep to make sure.

abunchoflemons 01-10-2013 08:20 AM

You don't need to pump unless supply issues or you have engorgement. Otherwise you don't need to pump. Or if you are creatiing teething / stash for if you need to be away.......if not gqaining weight you don't need to worry about baby.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 01-10-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 16138471)

Mine were in bed by 8 too. I would get them up to nurse just before I went to bed for a dreamfeed. Usually 10-11pm. They would then sleep until between 6 and 7am by 10 weeks of age. You can always try a dreamfeed to help with supply and also maybe let you sleep a little later in the morning :goodvibes: This is a well known trick among those of us that work to create predictable routine and great sleep habits in our breastfed babies.

l_Kimmie_l 01-10-2013 08:59 AM

Jealous!!! Mine nurses at night while sleeping...LOL! I was hoping he would out grow it. I would not pump at night if it was me, but I can see your concern that your supply may tank.