Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do I need a pump? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479822)

dancingingrace 01-09-2013 09:53 PM

Do I need a pump?

My DD is 2 months old, and we EBF. She's my first baby that I've done so with for any length of time, so this is all new to me. I don't have a pump (well, I have a single manual one, but it doesn't work for anything, I can never get anything out with it), I'm a SAHM and just nurse on demand. I asked about my supply before, I was concerned b/c my DD sleeps a ton, and we never really nursed every 2 hours or anything, but I was always told that if she's growing (she is), my body will adjust according to how much she eats, and we'll be fine. She has slept through the night since she was a week and a half old (probably like 5-6 hour stretches, give or take...I go to bed late and get up early, so this is "through the night" to me). I just read someone else's post about needing to pump through the night when their LO slept all night, and it made me wonder....should I be pumping? And even if not through the night, is there any reason that I should get a pump and be pumping, or will we be fine to just let her nurse when she wants to, and that's it? I do understand that it would be smart to pump and have some frozen just in case I have to go to the hospital or something weird like that, but aside from that reason...? Will I start to dry up before I intend to stop nursing if I am not pumping? She doesn't eat a lot, she'll sleep for long stretches, or maybe she'll go and and take a few sucks just to fall asleep or something, but she mostly is a grazer. Should I make some changes? :headscratch:

Yarnjess 01-09-2013 10:00 PM

Re: Do I need a pump?

Follow baby's lead. Moms and babies have survived for centuries without pumps and pumping. If she's growing, meeting milestones, and otherwise a happy and satisfied baby, I wouldn't worry. I've never pumped and my LO is 6.5 months and growing like a weed. I think the moms that feel the need to pump when baby sleeps longer are doing so because they have or have had supply issues or don't like the engorgement they might otherwise suffer. I don't have a freezer stash either. When I did have to go back to the hospital 6 days pp, baby came too and I nursed on demand.

abunchoflemons 01-09-2013 10:13 PM

If you aren't forewseeing to be away I wouldn't pump as you said that you are a sahm. As long as she gains weight you should be fine on her schedule. It is when she doesn't have enough wet and poo dipes and isn't gaining weight that you should wake to feed. She knows how much to eat and all for her. I only dried up after I got pregnant and another I know seemed to have dried up after starting PX90 I think to loose weight. It is nice to have a little pumped but if you know in advanced you can make a few slight changes to what you are doing to get milk. I would suggest actually unless you are feeling overly full over night enjoy the rest. When and if you need expressed milk hand express it.

Sheena Beena 01-09-2013 11:20 PM

I'm EBF my almost 6 month old and have never pumped. I don't have any reason to since I stay home with him. It's makes life so much easier.

Btolleson 01-10-2013 03:34 AM

You keep doing what you're doing, sounds perfect! Nurse on her cues and you'll be able to maintain your supply. The only reason I would buy a pump is if you want to freeze some for later (if you plan on leaving for an extended period) or if you want to donate milk to a needy baby. I personally think they're a good item to have around, you never know when something might come up or if baby decides to go on a nursing strike.

Trecki 01-10-2013 01:58 PM

It sounds to me like you are doing great! There is no reason for a pump unless you need to be away from your baby for longer periods of time. Since you're a SAHM I don't think you need to spend the $! Plus pumping can mess up your supply and cause engorgement and that always makes it harder for babies to latch.
I was going to suggest a manual pump for when you wanted to run some errands or have a night out without the baby... but see you already have one :)
Like other person said- pumps haven't been around forever so it's not a necessity- your body is designed to do exactly this IF you are with your baby most of the time.

umphreysmommy 01-10-2013 02:31 PM

I never pumped for either of my girls. My first 23 months and second 10 months and counting. If ever I ended up in the hospital or something my daughter would get formula. That is what they make it for. I am home and nurse on demand.

bcb1961 01-10-2013 02:43 PM

I agree with others, no reason for you to pump. It is well within normal for a baby to go 5-6 hours at night without eating. Just enjoy it for the time being because that might all change! And congrats on a good nursing experience!

Van1300 01-10-2013 06:31 PM

I pump all day at work. When my DS needs to nurse at home, I nurse. I am a slave to the pump. Be glad you don't need one :) I do sometimes wake myself up at night needing to nurse. I could conceivably pump and let the baby keep sleeping, but I just dream feed him for a little relief and go back to bed (he's only 2 months old and I just went back to work, so we are still regulating!)

KBailey87 01-11-2013 08:23 AM

I am an EBF mom and have a 3 month old and before she was born I bought a pump because people made me feel like it was a necessity. But honestly, I've only used it maybe twice, so I wouldn't waste your money. Your supply will be fine as long as you nurse on cue.