Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   A just turned 3YO is perfectly safe FF'ing...right? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479834)

MrsFishyMarineWife 01-10-2013 12:57 AM

A just turned 3YO is perfectly safe FF'ing...right?

DS will be 3 in 3 1/2 months. He's currently RF'ing in a my ride 65. He outgrew the blvd 70 a few months ago and the MR was our spare seat. He has room to grow and and will easily get to 3 but probably not much longer.
I bought a radian but it fit very awkward in my car even with an AA so I returned it.
I tried him the graco size for me 70 and the headwings were literally pushing his shoulders down a little so it definitely isn't comfortable for him.

I have anxiety about flipping him. He still looks so little eventhough he's 36-37lbs and 37+ inches.

abunchoflemons 01-10-2013 01:35 AM

Re: A just turned 3YO is peefectly safe FF'ing...right?

He's bigger than my 20 month by a long shot. My oldest was a long baby and outgrew slightly before year but hit the weight to switch. Both of mine were happier front than rear too although 20 month now didn't seem to mind sometimes. My oldest now almost 8 I literally couldn't get in her seat when she fought me and was in fetal position (all balled up).

I just got a packet that said 2 years or 20 lbs rear then you can front face in high backed booster then 7-12 booster and 13+ no seat. OR go on seat specifications.

I know what I have done many won't agree with as lots here rear for a long time....

Computermama 01-10-2013 01:39 AM

Re: A just turned 3YO is peefectly safe FF'ing...right?

A 3 year old would be safER rear facing if you can manage it, but the difference in safety is much less at 3 than it is at say 1. I turned my oldest at just before three. Good job keeping your LO rear facing this long!

jaelynsmommy61607 01-10-2013 01:42 AM

3 is great for erf. I know its really weirdd when you do turn them. Just make sure the straps are coming out above his shoulders and the seat its tethered. He's perfectly safe ff at 3.

luvsviola 01-10-2013 06:54 AM

Re: A just turned 3YO is perfectly safe FF'ing...right?

You can be complete comfortable turning a 3 year old around. :) Obviously the longer you go, the better. But at 3, the bones have developed more than when he was younger.

Joyful Tie Dyes 01-10-2013 08:00 AM

Technically rear facing is always safer...

mrosehughes 01-10-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
A 3 year old would be safER rear facing if you can manage it, but the difference in safety is much less at 3 than it is at say 1. I turned my oldest at just before three. Good job keeping your LO rear facing this long!

This.

My DS hit 40" and 40 lbs at three and so we had to flip him in the seat in DH's car (a complete air), and I'm not sure he's going to make it to 4 RFing (which was my goal) in the radian (due to both height and weight). I was going to get a foonf, but now with the 43" standing height limit I don't think it will get us to 4, either. Other than importing a seat, we're out of options.

Probably if I were in your shoes and had the money I would give the radian another try or get a foonf, but only if it seemed like I'd get 8-10 extra RFing months from it. Like a PP said, FFing at 3 is much safer than FFing at 1, even though it's not as safe as RFing.

TheGreenBee 01-10-2013 09:43 AM

I struggle too. My 3.5 year old was rear facing until 3, then FF for the summer, then RF again for our horrible winters, but, I bit the bullet a few days ago and turned him forward....for completely selfish reasons. My husband is working out of town until spring sometimes which means I am the only one doing activity runs, which means always having to bring all the kids (typically my husband and I tag, one goes while the other stays home with the other kids) but now with me having to do it all alone we have long periods of waiting around in town (we live too far out of town to drop off, come home, then go back to pick up) and it is nice for the little to be able to watch movies while he waits.

Anyway. I feel guilty forward facing him (especially since I just bought a Radian to keep him ERF...LOL...my husband is super happy about that), but I know that he is generally going to be just fine at 3.5 and we will still RF for highway trips right up until he outgrows the seat.

dancnfool 01-10-2013 09:50 AM

My 6yo boy is 33-34 lbs and he is FF. He has been since about 3 and he was only mid 20's in weight. In theory I wanted to keep him rear facing for as long as possible, but it just didn't work anymore. He was starting to climb in and out of the vehicles himself and wanted to watch the DVD player on long trips and it was just the limit for us. Once in a blue moon he rides in my daughters HBB (now). Weight wise I would certainly feel comfortable with your LO FFing.

carriek38 01-10-2013 09:55 AM

DD will be 3 in March, & I flipped her in my car about 4 mos ago, when she hit the RF weight limit (35lb in a Triumph Advance) & when I decided that I needed to occasionally have passengers in my compact car & couldn't do that comfortably w/ a RFing seat. She flipped about a month ago in DP's car, after I got a good deal on a Frontier on Black Friday, as she was also really pushing it for height in the Triumph 65, too. I'll be looking for a SK300/400 in the next couple of months for my car. I tried her in a SK & a Nauti the other night & she tried to demand a "Big girl booster seat" (belt positioner :eek:), but I shut that down. DD was always fine RFing, & I'm pretty sure she'd even be fine w/ flipping back if I made her, but I'm a bit of a minimalist & wasn't willing to end up with 6, 7, or 8 seats for one kid, spending tons of money, just to squeak out a few more months.