Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dying unbleached prefolds. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479882)

MothyrGrimm 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

Dying unbleached prefolds.

Hi ladies,

I have a bunch of prefolds I'm wanting to dye, but was unsure because they're unbleached? Will they still take color and just be a more muted darker color since they're not bright white? They're all cotton, so also curious if I can use Rit dyes or if I need something else?

Thanks!

Tina5834 01-10-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
Hi ladies,

I have a bunch of prefolds I'm wanting to dye, but was unsure because they're unbleached? Will they still take color and just be a more muted darker color since they're not bright white? They're all cotton, so also curious if I can use Rit dyes or if I need something else?

Thanks!

DON'T USE RIT! Dylon is a good dye. I'm not sure about unbleached so ill be subbing to see answers.

mgmsrk 01-10-2013 11:45 AM

Re: Dying unbleached prefolds.

Make sure they are well prepped or the oil will impact the dye sticking. Unbleached won't matter, it will change the cplor just a bit. If you want dark colors you will need A LOT of dye, prefolds have tones of fabric and suck up dye.

Tulip from michaels is another good brand or Dharma Trading.

Tina5834 01-10-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmsrk
Make sure they are well prepped or the oil will impact the dye sticking. Unbleached won't matter, it will change the cplor just a bit. If you want dark colors you will need A LOT of dye, prefolds have tones of fabric and suck up dye.

Tulip from michaels is another good brand or Dharma Trading.

I had horrible luck with Tulip as well! My flats bled for over a year. Horrible dye IMO.

MothyrGrimm 01-10-2013 01:44 PM

Well darn! Now I'm scared. LOL

Why doesn't Rit work? Bummer because I have a bunch.

Tina5834 01-10-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Well darn! Now I'm scared. LOL

Why doesn't Rit work? Bummer because I have a bunch.

It doesn't bind we'll to the fabric and will 'run' forever.

mgmsrk 01-10-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 16139580)
I had horrible luck with Tulip as well! My flats bled for over a year. Horrible dye IMO.

Did you forget the salt?

I've done all my flats and prefolds with it and never had any bleeding and only small amounts of fading. I did them more than 3 years ago.

OP, Rit is garbage and should only be used on something like a costume that will not be used again. It will never set and will always need to be washed as if it will stain everything in the wash, because it will.

Put it in the trash, it's the only place it belongs.

MothyrGrimm 01-10-2013 03:32 PM

Well heck that sucks to hear. Do they sell tulip at Joann's? I just got a bunch of 50% off coupons.

Tina5834 01-10-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Well heck that sucks to hear. Do they sell tulip at Joann's? I just got a bunch of 50% off coupons.

Yes. They sell Dylon there too. It's way better dye IMO.

bcb1961 01-10-2013 03:38 PM

Joann's carries Dylon which is what you want to use. Dylon is permenant dye, Rit just 'stains' the clothes.

Dying unbleached is fine, they won't necessarily be darker but they will have more of a yellow tinge. I think the colors are prettier than the ones you get with dying bleached stuff.