Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How did you decide? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479892)

momEmac 01-10-2013 08:50 AM

How did you decide?

How long to breast feed? DS is 13months and we are still nursing 4-5 times a day. I had originally thought I would start weaning around now, and be completely weaned by 15 months. Now I'm not so sure. Over the last year we've had a lot of stuff happen. We moved three times due to a house fire, and in the process moved to another town. All the changes have been crazy with a baby and breast feeding on a routine seems to help DS with all the adjustments. He has settled into the new house really well and I don't foresee any more major changes. He eats solids really well, but I think he really needs the breast milk still. Right now I'm thinking we will go to 18 months and reevaluate. I definitely don't want to go past 2 years (just my personal preference). So how did you decide?

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

greenmama52 01-10-2013 08:54 AM

Re: How did you decide?

For me, I had to go back to work when my DD turned a year, and she was still waking every few hours during the night to nurse for comfort. I decided that I couldn't be up with her that often while working, so I decided to wean her. She was eating really well, and mainly nursing for comfort at that point. It was a hard decision, and if she would have only been nursing during the day, I probably would have kept it up.

Nerissa 01-10-2013 09:03 AM

DS1 was 6 months. I got really sick and the medication made my milk supply tank. I WOH full time and I was only pumping about 3oz for the entire day at that point and had gone trough my entire freezer stash. It just kept going down from there and DS1 was frustraited at breast.

DS2 was 7 months. Again WOH and I just couldn't keep up with the pumping i wasn't even getting 1/3 of his needs while I was at work and he lost interest with the breast.

I am really hoping to go longer this time. So far my supply is great. Pumping more than needed daily/weekly.

ulawolf 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

I ebf for 6.5 months but she had issues so we started her on formula. She now nurses once or twice a day but for comfort not food.

l_Kimmie_l 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

I WOH with DS1 and he lost interest with nursing when my supply tanked at 4 months. With DS2 I dried up at 12 mos PP due to being pregnant again. With DS3 I dried up at 18 mos due to explusively pumping after he started biting me at 9 months old. I was pumping for another baby too then, so my body liked the pump. I am currently still nursing DS4 at 9 mos and plan to till he is done.

FindingMercy 01-10-2013 09:10 AM

A child's immune system really starts to mature and function more fully between 18-24 months, so I set my goal to that time range. I wanted them to have the antibodies in breastmilk. Also, I found my kids started eating much bigger meals as 2-year-olds, so I liked having the breastmilk to round out their diet better. It's kind of like natures multi-vitamin in my mind. The WHO also recommends 2 years of breastfeeding. I weaned both my girls at 23 months.

Yarnjess 01-10-2013 10:38 AM

I plan on going at least 2 years. After that, we'll see.

tibeca 01-10-2013 10:47 AM

The world health organization recommends at LEAST 2 years. Generally, I aim for 1 year of offering, the second year of offering at least once per day and then following their weaning cues. Infants/toddlers need milk for at least the first 2 years, so I say, why give them cow milk when I can give them the best.

mibarra 01-10-2013 01:30 PM

For me personally, DD2 was a great eater, and only nursing a few times a day for comfort around 13 months. I was really just done with nursing, and she wasn't pushing for it, so we stopped with minimal drama. :)

Spunkify 01-10-2013 01:53 PM

With my second daughter it had something to do with going back to work and my limited knowledge and support pumping, etc.

With my older son I wanted to make it 6 weeks and then three months. We ended up going three years. Daddy felt three was a good age to wean. Me, I though I'd feel better have a date to remember, and I thought it'd be easier weaning him being able to say you're a big boy now (and stuff) so our last day of nursing was the day before he turned three. He was nursing once or twice a day (if that) at that point and had made tremendous strides in weaning himself so it was just some gentle nudging and replacing nursing with other forms of affection and special moments.

Coming up on three years with K I knew she wasn't "ready" like her brother to wean at three and told Daddy so. He stopped prodding about weaning at three though he sometimes will say things like "You need to stop nursing soon, you're a big girl now." to her. I tell him, basically, she'll wean when she's ready and to leave her alone. I wasn't really ready for her to wean either, truth be told, but if she was ready I wasn't going to force her to continue. We're still nursing at over 3 1/2 years...and I'm really happy she's still nursing through cold and flu season. I don't know when either of us will be ready to wean...we'll see. I figure when the time is right we'll know.

Noah is still nursing at almost 15 months. He's less of a boob addict than his sis so who knows! I have no plans to wean, we'll take it one day at a time though I'm thinking he'll self wean much earlier than his two older siblings.