Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chicken pox/mmr vaccine reaction? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479896)

irishdancemomma 01-10-2013 09:07 AM

DS woke up today with little red spots on his face and torso. Is this a reaction to either the mmr or chicken pox vaccine? He had those shots about two weeks ago. He doesn't seem sick and he hasn't eaten or done anything else out of the ordinary. This was not mentioned on the paper I was given before he relieved the shots. Should I call the doctor? Please don't use this thread for vaccination arguments. Thanks!

irishdancemomma 01-10-2013 09:18 AM

Okay, so it sounds like I'm totally uneducated on these vaccines. I'm not, I have read up on them and did so before I allowed them to be given to my baby. I did see at some point somewhere that a mild rash may develop, but I guess I'm wondering if this is said rash.

l_Kimmie_l 01-10-2013 09:23 AM

Re: Chicken pox/mmr vaccine reaction?

I bet it is the chicken pox vax. The illness shows up 2 weeks after exposure. Call to see the pedi.

HeatherM0529 01-10-2013 09:39 AM

It's the varicella (CP vaccine) my son JUST got his on Monday and they said that about 10-14 days after receiving the shot they can get a mild case of CP, about 20 or less spots.

escapethevillage 01-10-2013 09:48 AM

It's probably just the CP vaccine. I wouldn't even worry about it. Just don't take him out to play with other kids. It's usually not a big deal at all though.

l_Kimmie_l 01-10-2013 09:50 AM

I want to bring my kids to your house...LOL!

mekat 01-10-2013 10:06 AM

I would take him in if it gets worse or has unusual symptoms. My fully vaccinated son had what I thought was chicken pox. It wound up being a bacterial skin infection called Infantigo.

juliasmom 01-10-2013 10:23 AM

It is a reaction to the live vaccine. My pedi warned me about a possible mild rash and said that it would be benign, not contagious and possibly indicate the vaccine was more likely to be effective.

Bellaroo 01-10-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 16139440)
It is a reaction to the live vaccine. My pedi warned me about a possible mild rash and said that it would be benign, not contagious and possibly indicate the vaccine was more likely to be effective.

Ditto.

My son got a case of what they call 'mini-measles' after his MMR. It is quite rare but some kids get a mild case of the measles about two weeks after their shot. My son managed to get an "extreme" case according to the doctor and caused quite a bit of excitement for the local health department. He had the rash, fever and sensitivity to light.

As mentioned, these reactions are completely non-contagious as evidenced by the fact that the health department was concerned only with our son and not with anyone else that he came in contact with (including unvaccinated infants at playgroup).

sandrc 01-10-2013 06:46 PM

This is interesting my 18 month old just got these shots yesterday. If she gets a rash I'll just have her and my 7 year old stay close since my 7 year old was not vaccinated for pox and has never had them.