Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions on Bumgenius Elementals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479906)

mommadeeof4+ 01-10-2013 09:41 AM

Opinions on Bumgenius Elementals

I have yet to try a BGE yet. I am doing flats/prefolds/covers most of the time or a flat/prefold stuffed into a pocket but I would like to have a few AIOs in my stash and I have yet to find one I am 100% satisfied with. I would love to hear opinions on BGE's, a lot of what I have read says they wear out fast? Seems like a huge problem is that they tear and get little holes around the soaker part? I have a he fl machine if that matters, not sure if the tearing is because of how the BGEs are made or how they are being washed? They are too expensive to even try one if it is going to be useless within a month! How is the drying time? Are they stay dry on the inside?

lynn97 01-10-2013 10:16 AM

I like mine but I don't use them everyday. They look new after 6 months of use but, again, they only get used once or twice a week. The dry time is long...they are our slowest drying diapers and take about 12 hours to dry, hanging in my laundry room. The inners are organic cotton so no, not stay dry. They are really nice diapers, though. I also have some Swaddlebees Simplex OS and they dry quickly and have a stay dry side on the soaker. They might be a better option for you if these things are important to you. They aren't cheap either, though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

P!nkPepper 01-10-2013 10:52 AM

No way will they be useless in a month unless you trash/thrash them ~ like boil, heavily bleach every wash, use sanitary cycle, use tons of oxiclean, wash with jeans, that sort of crazy thing. I've owned probably 50 and I never got holes in mine. The ones with holes were bought used & VERY used. They are a very good quality diaper.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

greencrunchymama 01-10-2013 11:09 AM

Re: Opinions on Bumgenius Elementals

I bought some but didn't care for them on my tiny DD because the soaker bunched all weird on her. I also didn't want to spend that much on one diaper. But many, many mamas love them!

BESMama 01-10-2013 11:16 AM

We used them for our son who is approaching 2 and nearly fully potty trained. We use an FL, wash with Tide, dry in a dryer and they all got holes over time but still functioned.

Pros: Easy to use, all natural fabrics, easy to spray poop off of, fit our little guy perfectly from a few months old all the way to 2 years with some additional room to grow if we needed it.
Cons: Take FOREVER to dry (sometimes 2 cycles in the dryer) and get holes which look ugly.

TrennaII 01-10-2013 11:27 AM

Natural fibers wear out more quickly, it's been a bad few years for cotton harvests, and the way the soaker is sewn it there are points which naturally wear first. I hear 9-12 months for hole development, from many people.

I didn't like the fit. On my 30 lb 2 year old they were bunchy and lumpy. Plus taking forever to wash and dry.

I much preferred Grovia AIOs. Smooth trim fit, faster wash and dry. The extra doubler being snap in meant everything laid flat, and I didn't have to use more absorbency than I needed. I just laid it on top, didn't snap it in, because then it was really easy to get poo off.

EyeDocMommy 01-10-2013 11:45 AM

I have four of the old organic before they changed the name to elemental. They were used less than all of our other diapers and are in the worst holey shape and others are like new. They are almost unusable at this point. I much prefer swaddlebees simplex OS.

L&MsMamma 01-10-2013 11:51 AM

I love mine! Pretty much my whole stash is BGE. I've been using them since my almost 3 yr old was old enough to fit into them. She potty learned and now my 11 month old is using them. I have 1 diaper that has a small whole in it, but that's it an i have about 30 of them. My only complaint is that the leg elastic does stretch easier than I would like. Im hoping to open them up and try repairing some of them. They so take a while to dry but that has never bothered me too much...I line dry and then if they aren't drying fast enough, like in the winter, I throw them in the dryer to finish them off :)

mommadeeof4+ 01-10-2013 12:07 PM

thank you for all the input!

mamatoclaire 01-10-2013 12:17 PM

I have 4 that I use regularly in my rotation, I really like them! I bought them from an earth day sale so, April? So they're about 9 months old and no signs of holes or wear. They are stained though, but cotton just stains more easily in general. I love the trimness and absorbency. I haven't had a problem with dry time, seems the same as my flip organics and bamboo prefolds. I also turn them "inside out" to dry better otherwise where the soaker attaches stays damp.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum