Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wet Pail/Dry Pail? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479947)

MamaButtercup 01-10-2013 11:52 AM

Wet Pail/Dry Pail?

I changed my son's diaper yesterday morning and smelled ammonia! I have a sneaking suspicion that it had to do with dehydration (as mentioned in a previous thread...) but have been waging war against the stinkies for a few weeks anyway. I am on top I it now, I think, but am having to use an exorbitant amount of water! 2 pre rinses, wash on hot with 3 Tbs Rockin' Green Hard Rock, (Hard water...) and 3 cold rinses. I tried less soap and the same amount of rinses, and also more soap with only one pre rinse and two rinses, but those were unsuccessful. What I'm doing now works, but... So. much. water.

I am thinking of switching my pail system. I've been doing dry, washing every other day. (The stinkies started when my stash got big enough to go a couple of days...) I am wondering if I could use less water in the washing process if I use a wet pail for the prefolds and inserts? I would still use my wet bag for the pocket shells. I asked someone about this, and she mentioned that she had been warned against wet pails if you had hard water. I need some more input. Anyone with hard water have an educated opinion on this?

momma_dna 01-10-2013 04:47 PM

Have you thought of trying a different detergent?

abunchoflemons 01-10-2013 05:05 PM

Re: Wet Pail/Dry Pail?

Try different detergent. I have slightly hard water. Front load. I would be able to do wet pail & regular cycle to clean my diapers. It is hard & messy as I just have sterilite container now that I'm pregnant....so started to just do all in washer. Some stink but nothing too bad. I'm hoping to go back to wet after I. Have baby & find something that will hold diapers in & easier to empty. I'm so uncomfy as I'm due in the next month hoping not too much longer.

nonipie 01-10-2013 05:58 PM

I think before I did anything I would stop using the RnG. It's just not getting them clean and the stink and ammonia is bacteria. Washing should just not be that complicated if you are using the right detergent for your water and washer. Cold rinse, hot wash/cold rinse with detergent. Maybe once a month I use a bit of bleach. I have hard water and have used Tide for years.

Spunkify 01-10-2013 06:23 PM

I've heard that happen with RnG.

Personally I don't use wet pails, only dry and only wetbags/laundry bags for airflow, no pails....too many yuck things that can grow in closed, moist, wet environments.

MamaButtercup 04-21-2013 10:08 PM

I have switched to Nellie's and still have problems. Using the wet/dry pail method, but still having some ammonia. Not bad enough to burn, and just when the diaper sits too long, like overnight diapers. I can't use Tide, because my son is sensitive to it and gets red scaly patches when I use it on anything he touches a lot. So free-and-clear it is! Haven't tried Tide free-and-clear, but All didn't work. I have since had to go back to a front loader, an that's when the ammonia got worse. Grrrr! Anybody have special tricks?

MamaDawn 04-21-2013 10:16 PM

Keep trying different detergents... I know that's not a lot of help... maybe Country Save? I've never used it but I see a lot of mama's do... or Tide free and clear... oh and make sure you are using an oxygen bleach (like oxy clean)

And you getting ammonia when it's on the bum on in the pail?

MamaButtercup 04-22-2013 05:00 PM

Both. After a certain amount of time elapses, no matter where it is, it ends up with the ammonia smell. Usually about 3+ hours. I haven't used oxyclean because I'm afraid of voiding warranties. Think I should just bite the bullet and do it?

DiaperDiva 04-22-2013 05:46 PM

You could try...

Stripping with vinegar or RLR
Changing your detergent (may want to do this anyway)
Washing daily (I know a lot of mamas don't like doing this, but washing every day can be really helpful, even if you haven't used up your whole stash yet)

cassie.sattler 04-22-2013 05:55 PM

using a wet pail for me sucked. i thought it was the cure all for ammonia but after about 2 weeks i got a different kind of smell. i also found it hard to maintain it with a wanna be baby. so far the only thing that has helped me with ammonia is to make sure it doesnt set in.. that means rinsing all/most diapers getting rid of poo promptly and using enough detergent. my prefolds are really hard to get ammonia free if they have been sitting for more then 1 1/2 days. i find that anything after that time and i have to do a MAJOR clean which involves alot of water :/ i would also try rotating different detergents.