Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Money and time.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480042)

Chrijodo 01-10-2013 02:22 PM

Money and time....

My 6 year old is in a private school. Individualized curriculum. They use Saxon Math for the math portion and he is currently doing the Saxon 3 workbook. He is struggling hard core with Time and Money though and I don't know how to help him understand it. Does anyone have some good links or advice?

HeatherlovesCDs 01-10-2013 02:30 PM

Re: Money and time....

Could you help him using real life? At our house, we have an analogue clock in our kitchen. I tell they kids they have till the minute (or long) hand gets to X to do something and I also state the time it will be or how long. They are really starting to pick it up. For money, could you play money games at home? Like, we have what we call "ticket" night every Friday night. It is part of our chore system. The kids have to "pay" 5 tickets to participate (easy to earn) and then have to use tickets to buy treats to eat while we watch our movie/play our game. You could do something similar with actual coins. Maybe play restaurant at dinner, having them pay for their food items.

Starfall has money and time games online too.

Good luck!

tallanvor 01-10-2013 03:00 PM

Can he skip count by 5 and 10? If not, that needs to be worked on.

Chrijodo 01-11-2013 06:41 AM

He can skip count by 5's and 10. He can tell time on a digital. He can tell time (usually) on an analog. But the work he's getting from school had a problem yesterday that said. "If it's 2:00 now. What time was it a half hour ago" and it trips him up completely.

I will try some starfall activities. That's basically how he taught himself to read when he was 4. LOL

I know he'll get it if I can find the right way to show him. It's just a matter of finding the right way.

~Laura~ 01-14-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrijodo (Post 16143273)
He can skip count by 5's and 10. He can tell time on a digital. He can tell time (usually) on an analog. But the work he's getting from school had a problem yesterday that said. "If it's 2:00 now. What time was it a half hour ago" and it trips him up completely.

I will try some starfall activities. That's basically how he taught himself to read when he was 4. LOL

I know he'll get it if I can find the right way to show him. It's just a matter of finding the right way.

For a problem like this, I have my kids use a clock and physically move the minute hand back 30 minutes. After awhile they can do it without having to move the hands.

Honestly, practicing with real clocks and change is how they learn.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-14-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Laura~ (Post 16156460)
For a problem like this, I have my kids use a clock and physically move the minute hand back 30 minutes. After awhile they can do it without having to move the hands.

Honestly, practicing with real clocks and change is how they learn.

This is what I was going to suggest too. I got a foam clock from Target's dollar section a while back. I bet you could get something similar at Dollar Tree.

Good luck!