Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Your roasted chicken method? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480043)

Trecki 01-10-2013 03:24 PM

Your roasted chicken method?

Okay I'm seeing a lot of y'all talking about roasting a whole chicken..and it sounds so good! Especially with veggies! For some reason cooking a whole chicken terrifies me... And I know it's the most economical way.

So, anyone want to share their favorite way to roast a whole chicken?

TrennaII 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Your roasted chicken method?

I've tended to be completely terrified of doing a whole chicken too. This adaptation of a recipe from "How to Cook Everything" works for us every time; it's become our go-to for guests, believe it or not.

Preheat Oven to 500, rinse your chicken and take the giblets out of the inside.

Cut carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, turnips, or other hardy root veggies into chunks, make a layer in the bottom of a baking dish.

Put chicken on top of the veggies in the baking dish, breast side down for 20 mins.

Spoon some of one of the below mixes over it, sprinkle with salt and pepper, turn it breast side up, spoon more mix over it, sprinkle more salt and pepper, roast for 8 minutes or until the breast starts to brown.

Turn heat to 325, baste with more of the mixture, roast another 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 160-165, and until the juices run clear (tip the bird and watch what comes out of the cavity.

Basting Mixes:

3 T Olive Oil, 2 tsp fresh or 1 tsp dried: Thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, or sage ... or a mix.

1/4 c soy sauce, 2 T peanute oil, 2 T honey, 1 t garlic, 1 t fresh or 1/2 t ground ginger, 1/4 cup minced scallions.

(our Fave, it tastes fancy but not "weird" (even the picky eaters like it)) 1 T olive oil, 2 T orange juice, 2 T honey, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 t ground cumin.

jbug_4 01-10-2013 03:55 PM

You can put it in the crock pot but you don't get a crispy skin that way. Just ball up to pieces of aluminum foil and place the chicken on top breast side up. Season any way you want and cook it on low about 6 hours. If you don't use the foil you chicken will be in liquid and fall apart when you try to get it out- still good, but if you want something looking like a chicken you have to keep it out of the liquid.

I oven roast mine at 425 for about an hour and 1/2 when I do it. I prefer to do it the crock pot just because it frees my oven, but oven roasted is nice and crispy. I like a maple glaze. The general recipe (adjust for your taste) is 1/4 maple syrup (real maple), 1/4 cup apple juice, 3 tbsp butter, 1 teas cinnamon, pinch of ground cloves. You could add nutmeg or any other apple pie type spice- you could even use apple pie spice mix. Start roasting chicken. Mix glaze ingeds in pan and heat until slightly thickened. In the last 20 mins of roasting baste the chicken. The baste is really good with sweet potatoes and carrots (we roast those a lot) You just pour the baste over the veggies at the same time you do the chicken.

Palooka 01-10-2013 04:09 PM

Hubby and I work outside the house, so we need to cook our food quickly before babe gets too tired and we get too grumpy from hunger. For this reason I butterfly the chicken using kitchen sheers, then do a very hot oven for about half the time it would normally take. I googled it and got a link that's pretty much what I do except instead of putting herb butter on the skin I pull the skin open at the neck and hips and use my fingers to stuff the herb butter under the skin. It is crazy fast and yummy!

http://deliciouslyorganic.net/how-to...fly-a-chicken/

Trecki 01-10-2013 04:19 PM

Wow! They all sound so delicious! Although pulling out giblets, pulling skin.. eek! I'm determined to try it anyway. :) May end up being a Sunday night dinner so I don't feel too rushed & hopefully will give leftovers!

kimb96 01-10-2013 04:28 PM

My roast chicken is real simple. I season the inside and outside with salt, pepper, and onion powder. I take a stick of butter and place 3 tablespoons of it inside the cavity of the chicken with 1 stalk of celery cut into 2-3 pieces. I cut up the rest of the butter in pats and place all over the chicken. Roast at 350 for about an hour and a half. After I take it out of the oven, I cover it with foil and let it rest for half an hour before serving. It is perfect. So tasty and juicy!

Hungry Caterpillar 01-10-2013 04:34 PM

I go the Thomas Keller method and it's the simplest possible, but results in the juiciest chicken ever.

Remove everything from the cavity. Rinse and pat dry or don't rinse, up to you depending on where you got it.

Put in roasting pan and sprinkle salt liberally over the whole chicken, breast UP. Roast at 425 for 60-75 mins until temperature is 180 degrees at the thigh.

Rest for at least three minutes.

No other fat added. It turns out better if the bird is room temp before hitting the oven but if I do not have time to do that I put it in the oven, then turn on for preheat so it heats up with the oven.

I sprinkle cubed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, whatever I have around the chicken in the pan. Takes me less than five minutes to prep this meal and it's my husband's favorite. We have it every week without fail.

danielle 01-10-2013 07:16 PM

I prep the chicken, set it in a roaster with a rack, then work the handle of a wooden spoon under the breast skin. I pour seasoning (Penzeys BBQ 3000) and olive oil under the skin then work it in and all around. Then I tie the legs up with kitchen twine. I don't do anything with the cavity.

I cook at 425 for 15 minutes then turn it down to 350 and cook it for approximately 60 minutes more but I always use a meat thermometer in the thigh to check for 160.

themaelane 01-11-2013 02:49 PM

I find it to actually be one of the easiest meals in our house! Doing it in the crockpot, I often rest it on some carrots/celery so the chicken isn't against the edge - cooks more even. Soem water in the bottom. I do find this method more bland however, and I often end up with too much water, making the meat loose flavor.

In the oven. Throw veggies and spices on it if you want....they only help but with out them you are fine. I often rub down with olive oil and spices. Then cover with foil. This is after removing the organs which really is easy - they often come in a bag! You can cook them up for the dog or for gravy, or toss em, your choice. I usually cook mine for longer at 325, it comes out more tender. The only tricky part is getting it out while still yummy juicy but obviously once its done. Worst case you can put it back int he oven, or just cut off what you want to eat and stick it in the microwave...done that. :)

My husband likes it when I take off the foil for the last 20-45 min, but I often don't....I'd rather I just peel off that skin (easy) and he doesn't eat it!

Mama*Kim 01-11-2013 05:02 PM

It depends on my mood, but its usually some variation on one of these...

Simple method: preheat oven to 375. Clean giblets out of chicken, rinse and pat dry. Brush skin with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for roughly an hour and a half until the meat next to the bone temps at 155. Put on the counter to set 15 minutes. Serve it up.

"Fancy chicken" method: set a stick of butter out to soften. When its soft, mix in 1 Tbsp garlic, half an onion (minced), salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Roll the butter into a log in plastic wrap, refrigerate a couple of hours (or do a day ahead) to set. Preheat oven to 450. In a roasting pan, make a layer of big cut veggies (carrots, onions, parsnips, celery, etc). Clean out the chicken, rinse and pat it dry. Place chicken on top of veggies. Slice compound butter into rounds, slide about half of the butter rounds under the skin of the chicken, fill the cavity of the chicken with 1 onion and 1 green apple, both coarsely chopped, and about half the remaining butter. Truss the chicken (there's a million YouTube videos for this). Dot the veggies with remaining compound butter. Put pan in the oven. After 10-15 minutes turn oven down to 350, continue baking another hour. Remove chicken from oven and set on counter 15 minutes to rest.

Mmm... I think roasted chicken is going on next week's menu.