Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Which is more toxic Lysol or bleach? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480062)

chandni3 01-10-2013 02:58 PM

Which is more toxic Lysol or bleach?

I've put my home daycare under an organization and I'm required to disinfect everything all the time - bathroom, kitchen, table, toys every two weeks or if they're put in the mouth, change mat, etc. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I have a one year old. I don't like being exposed to so many chemicals but I have to use either bleach and water or something labeled "disinfects". I wear gloves when using these products and have been using lysol wipes more than bleach but that's getting expensive. Bleach and water in a spray bottle would be much cheaper but will it be more toxic to my health? I wipe or rinse things after using the disinfectant so that my daughter isn't exposed as much but I probably make the disinfecting powers less since it's supposed to sit for 10 mins I guess. I totally understand the need to use these products but what can I do to expose myself, my unborn baby and my daughter less?

delicatefade 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Which is more toxic Lysol or bleach?

Can you use vinegar?

delicatefade 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

Oh, and Melaleuca has a great natural disinfectant too.

chandni3 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

Nope, it has to be bleach or a commercial disinfectant. Nothing natural has been approved by the gov't. And vinegar isn't strong enough to kill viruses.

Riverleaf1772 01-10-2013 03:55 PM

Bleach evaporates so it doesn't remain on the toys when your children put them in their mouths so I use that. It is irritating to lungs of children if done in their presence so best to do it after they go home. I also recommend washing in plain soap and water whatever you can that won't be damaged - plastic toys and blocks etc, and then bleach spraying them and leave them out to dry. Remember too that the bleach/water solution in your spray bottle needs to be changed every day or it isn't effective (and smells worse).

Lysol doesn't evaporate and is still toxic and bad for lungs if breathed in, so I don't use that. And yes rinsing it immediately means it isn't effective.

We collect toys in a bucket through the day if someone puts their mouth on it, then clean at the end of the day.

There are a couple of natural disinfecting products that do claim to kill flu and virus. One is by Method. Also Tea Tree Oil does disinfect too. Neither of these will be approved by your organization.

jeebee 01-10-2013 03:58 PM

Yes bleach breaks down so I would go with that.

chandni3 01-10-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverleaf1772 (Post 16141094)
Bleach evaporates so it doesn't remain on the toys when your children put them in their mouths so I use that. It is irritating to lungs of children if done in their presence so best to do it after they go home. I also recommend washing in plain soap and water whatever you can that won't be damaged - plastic toys and blocks etc, and then bleach spraying them and leave them out to dry. Remember too that the bleach/water solution in your spray bottle needs to be changed every day or it isn't effective (and smells worse).

Lysol doesn't evaporate and is still toxic and bad for lungs if breathed in, so I don't use that. And yes rinsing it immediately means it isn't effective.

We collect toys in a bucket through the day if someone puts their mouth on it, then clean at the end of the day.

There are a couple of natural disinfecting products that do claim to kill flu and virus. One is by Method. Also Tea Tree Oil does disinfect too. Neither of these will be approved by your organization.

What ratio do you use? Is it bad for me to be breathing in while pregnant?

Vivhop98 01-10-2013 04:44 PM

This would make me feel so yucky. I not clean with vinegar as anything else gives me a migraine.

Celeste 01-10-2013 05:59 PM

I use Clorox Anywhere spray when we have all been sick. It is already diluted. Just spray on and let dry. It doesn't have a strong bleach smell(it does have a faint one) and won't stain your carpet/clothes. It's what we use at church in the nurseries to disinfect the toys, chairs, tables, etc.

chandni3 01-11-2013 05:48 AM

I looked up the clorox but it doesn't kill viruses. I think I'll just go with the bleach and water. I put a capfull in a spray bottle this morning and it doesn't smell too strong. I'll use lysol wipes in the bathroom to wipe the change mat and potty seat and my gloves when changing since the kids won't have to breath in the bleach and they're not really touching those things.