Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How mainstream is cloth in your area? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480253)

northknoxmomma 01-11-2013 05:27 AM

How mainstream is cloth in your area?

The thread on Sears.com selling cloth diapers got me wondering, how mainstream is CDing in your town? I live in a smallish city (population of 700,000) in East Tennessee and when I first started using cloth, 6yrs ago, it was not the norm. But, cloth has become very common here, we have had two b&m stores, and when we go out I see a lot of fluffy bums. How mainstream/common is it where you live?

Holly dolly 01-11-2013 05:34 AM

It's not. I live in a town of 800 but very near a town of 50,000. There is no store locally that sells cloth. There is one 45 miles away.

It is becoming a little more common though. I've seen a few lots of cloth for sale on Craigslist.

ulawolf 01-11-2013 05:35 AM

Very not Mainstream. It's working slowly though. We have two diaper stores in a 40 mile radius

craigwick 01-11-2013 05:58 AM

Re: How mainstream is cloth in your area?

I live in a town of 1300 and it is not very common...in fact I think I know one person who CD for a short time and that is it! The nearest B & M stores that sell CD's are over an hour away, and I think in my province there is maybe 4 of those stores (1 million-ish people here, but very spread out)

s@hmommy 01-11-2013 06:04 AM

Not at all here. I don't know anyone irl other than ourselves that uses cloth.

va703 01-11-2013 06:55 AM

Not very....I know one other person IRL who uses cloth. There is one store that has a few cloth diaper brands as part of their overall inventory (it's a kids store...clothes, toys, etc.) That's about it for our smallish city.

mommadeeof4+ 01-11-2013 06:58 AM

we live in massachusetts about 1/2 an hour north of boston and we are odd balls around here...i do not know anyone in real life that cloth diapers or has more than 3 kids and only know 1 person with 3 kids lol. Also I am realizing how extra weird we are because I am having a very hard time finding anyone who homeschools, i cant find any sort of co-op or group! We do not belong here, we want to move sooooo bad!

cuddlebunny_24 01-11-2013 07:00 AM

Not common at all, I have found two posts on craigslist to sell diapers and they were all the way on the opposite side of the county from me. Also I know of like three people in the area that cloth diaper and I know them through the daycare that my kids go to. Also there is nowhere that sells cloth around here we have to order off the internet or drive about 2 hours to find anywhere. People up here like their disposable diapers because is it easier for them. Yes today my youngest is in disposables but I have to put pockets back together and I am in too much pain from a back injury that I sustained in a car accident this past weekend. So yes I am lazy right now, but he will survive. lol. But no cloth is not very prevalent around my area, I would like to see more people using cloth though.

Spunkify 01-11-2013 07:03 AM

Cloth is not very common in the town we live or the town our business is in but if we drive to Ithaca (where Jillian's Drawers is) it's a completely different story. I joke and tell B that I was meant to live in Ithaca because of how green and crunchy it is as a whole.

ETA: I had to look this up and I think I have you all beat for "small town"
As of the 2010 census, the town we live in had a population of 1,412. The town our business is in had a population of 3,946 at the 2010 census.

thirdtimemomma 01-11-2013 07:05 AM

I didn't think it was but I know at least 4 cloth dipe users, soon to be 5.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum