Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   From anti-vax to pro-vax? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480269)

mamasab 01-11-2013 07:21 AM

From anti-vax to pro-vax?

I promise I am not trying to start a debate. I have no interest in listening to people debate. I simply want to hear from people who were anti-vax but then changed their minds. If they then went on to vax their children fully, or selectively. I would like to know their reasoning, the hows and whys of changing their minds. If you aren't comfortable posting here, please pm me.

My little disclaimer- The moment you start using any insulting language towards "the other side" is the moment I stop considering anything you say. If you can't make your point without stooping to insults, I just can't believe you have a point.

Oh, and I tried to find if this thread already existed and did not find one about this particular topic. If one does exist, feel free to link me to it. I wanted to avoid posting this, but this is info I really want and need! So play nice so I don't have to regret asking :giggle: Thank you!

z2akids 01-11-2013 07:31 AM

Re: From anti-vax to pro-vax?

In my earlyy 20s, I was a bandwagon jumper. I would have been right there shouting at the wind that I caught flu (which I probably thought was a GI bug) from the flu shot. Honestly, I didn't know that much about vaccines until DH and I started talking about kids. I have always had good access to medical publications and did my own research. Back almost 20 years ago, I was fortunate that blogs hadn't really caught on yet. At that time, it was much easier to distinguish between scientific research and personal opinion on the web - plus most of my research was done in a medical library with print publications.

Minniebees 01-11-2013 07:52 AM

I was. But what changed my mind was going through the research. The anti-vax references were not very strong, and once I started learning about how the immune system works, I found a lot of misinformation. My kids are all fully vaxed as a result. I was initially not going to do chicken pox, but upon further reading and reflection, I decided to do it as well.

Minniebees 01-11-2013 07:52 AM

I was. But what changed my mind was going through the research. The anti-vax references were not very strong, and once I started learning about how the immune system works, I found a lot of misinformation. My kids are all fully vaxed as a result. I was initially not going to do chicken pox, but upon further reading and reflection, I decided to do it as well.

danielle 01-11-2013 08:27 AM

I'm a bit more middle of the road so I don't know if my opinion matters to you. I fall into the too much, too soon category and my children don't get vaccinated at all until age 3, and then very slowly. My 4.25 year old is now "caught up" to where her UPK classmates are as of the 18th of this month, on time for Kindergarten registration.

My opinion is that our lifestyle (sahm and domestic travel only) doesn't dictate that my babies need to be injected with chemicals so early on, but I am a believer in herd immunity (it's a fact) and I think we should do our part because we've chosen to be full, participating members in our little corner of the world. In other words, our kids will be going to public school and participating in community events.

Eta I am still not fully pleased by the varicella vax, but New York is an all or nothing state so I saved it for the last possible minute so to speak.

ulawolf 01-11-2013 08:32 AM

I do slow vax. All vaxs done by 4. I dont do more than one a time (except mmr ).

canadianbakers 01-11-2013 11:06 AM

I don't know where we fall, we definitely "tailor" the vaxes to each kids' needs/reactions/situation. But I'm not fully "for" or "against" vaxes.

DD was fully vaxed, except for varicella.
DS1 reacted to his 2mos needles. We held off anything more until he was 2yrs old. At that point we did the rest of his "baby" needles, except for varicella, but he reacted again to the dptp. So he's not had his school "booster shot", as it's mmr + dptp.
DS2 had all his baby needles, excluding varicella. Has not had his "booster shot".
DS3 had his 2, 4, 6 and 12 month shots. He hasn't had any since then, not because of a reaction by him, but because I had too much anxiety to go to the Dr's office after losing Elli.

I'm not that concerned about them. If we get around to finishing them, great. If not, meh.

FWIW, if you wait until the child is over 2 years old, the # of shots they need for "full immunity" for some things decreases a ton - for example, there was one shot (hib? I can't remember exactly which one) that DS1 would have needed 3-4 doses of as an infant, but after 24 months they use a different version and only need one dose.
That kinda has made me want to hold off on any shots for Hiccup until after 2yrs. But we'll see how things go when the time comes.

hilaryisinked 01-11-2013 11:22 AM

Waves hand. DH and I were very anti vax with DD1. We stopped at 4 months. With DD2 I reevaluated and she is fully vaccinated apart from flu shots. We are trying to catch up DD1 now and it is a hassle with how much we've moved and getting records. It was a long thought out process that eventually boiled down to we'd rather something bad happen during prevention than something bad happen because we didn't prevent. We also think vaccines do more good than harm. That's just us and we totally understand why people don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mamasab 01-11-2013 12:38 PM

Thank you, ladies! For those of you who felt misinformed, or changed your mind upon further research...do you mind sharing the particulars on that? What did you feel misinformed about? What kind of research changed your mind? Like, did you feel that you had been misinformed of the dangers of vaccines or did you feel like vaccines work better than you previously believed?

GEMQEMCABOOSE 01-11-2013 01:37 PM

We were anti-vax. Our children got Chicken pox from my shingles. Its was no big deal at all. Confirmed our feelings about vaxxing. My good friend has 9 children. When they got the mumps in their house, only the three oldest got it - they're the only vaccinated ones. Confirmed my feelings on vaxes. Then my 2.5 and 4 year olds got pertussis from who knows where. Positive cultures. It was truly, unbelievably awful. Coughing until they threw up for weeks. A horrid cough for almost 2 months. I knew from our research it was dangerous for babies and not a big deal for adults and older kids. What I didn't know was the misery and sleeplessness and frustration and pain it would cause my toddlers for weeks on end and they had a mild case. It changed my opinion on that vax. Our pediatrician threatened to fire us for not vaxxing (they just changed their policy). I reevaluated. I re-researched. Two of them were starting sports and school. Our exposure class was changing. For us, it was time. We don't due Flu or rotovirus or chicken pox vaxxes here, ever, for anyone. The pedi and I came up with a schedule I can live with. We go in every 2 months for a nurse appt according to our schedule. My guys got prevnar, HIB, and 2 rounds of DTAP. DS2 has nasty reactions to DTAP: the first was a fever that lasted 4 days and was 104 degrees. The second was his leg was bright red, firey hot, painful and itchy and rock hard for 5 days. So he is done with DTAP. Adverse reactions reported BTW. Today they both (DS1 is up to date) got Hepatitis B to be sure DS2 can even handle the stable, predictable vaxxes. We'll see. They will eventually complete the Hep B series and get Hep A at kindergarten. MMR is the one I cannot bring myself to administer because of the side effects and I am not doing polio since I find it so very rare and the VAERS reactions listing is a little much. So we went from none to a few, all at over 3 years of age. If we are blessed with another LO at some point, it will be back to the drawing board.