Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Extended Breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480308)

KBailey87 01-11-2013 08:46 AM

Extended Breastfeeding

My daughter will be 4 months old on the 23rd of this month so this isn't really an issue yet but I wanted to get some advice in advance. Has anyone done extended breastfeeding and dealt with a spouse that wasn't very supportive? If so, how did it work out? When I decided to breastfeed I originally thought I would wean her at a year old but I've recently decided that there's no point in forcing her to wean until she's ready and does it on her own. I haven't really discussed extended breastfeeding with my husband so this may not be an issue but I'd like to hear what some other mama's have to say just in case! Thanks in advance.

ofthemoonsglow 01-11-2013 08:54 AM

My dh was weird about it when i mentioned it when my dd was a few months old. I just didnt bring it up. After she was 1 I just kept nursing her and he realized shes still so little at 1 and she was not ready to wean. Shes 18 months now and dh has mentioned weaning at 2. But im going to do the same thing and just ignore it. Shell self wean eventially.

l_Kimmie_l 01-11-2013 09:05 AM

Re: Extended Breastfeeding

I am sure my hubby will be ready at 12 months, but the baby will still be young. I do not wean from a bottle that soon, so why from the breast? I am sure once we are there he will understand how little he is. Especially if he still needs to be nursed to sleep and at night. Sleep is way more important in our house than weaning.

jbelongi 01-11-2013 09:11 AM

My baby is 9 months old and he still nurses and doesn't drink formula. He use to drink formula but decided recently that he wasn't going to anymore. When he turns a year, I think it will be hard for him to stop breastfeeding. Yet, we will see. Another thought is that the world health organization recommends breast feeding until a baby / toddler is 2 years old. I am not really sure what I think of with that age, but I suppose most breastfeeding would probably be done at home anyways at that age. The toddler wouldn't breastfeed much. Now for breastfeeding a toddler in public? Probably not. I don't even like breastfeeding my baby in public. But that's just me. Either way, I am sure one day I will be able to move on from breastfeeding, so I am not worried about it.

crazymom 01-11-2013 12:42 PM

My daughter was 23 months when I weaned her. She was down to a morning and one sleep feeding anyway and was biting me so bad she was drawing blood. ( cutting molars). My dh wasn't happy but never really said anything.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!

MDever 01-11-2013 12:54 PM

Many moons ago when we began parenting DH was a little iffy on the whole nursing thing. How long, nursing in public etc. but he very quickly realized that "nursie" is the quickest answer to all of the worlds problems:chuckle: 11 years and we are about to have our 5th nursing child in a few weeks. Our 25mo is still nursing and going strong. You have to do whatever is best for your family but I would certainly make sure he knows the recs. from the AAP and WHO.

tesslouise 01-11-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofthemoonsglow (Post 16143757)
She'll self wean eventially.

I hope so. My DD1 is 3.5 and still nursing 3-4 times a day. I'm over it but I'm giving her till she's 4. We tried weaning at 3 and again at Thanksgiving and even after a few days apart she still wants to nurse. Anyway.

OP, my hubby is not thrilled DD1 is still nursing, but we've agreed that the house rule is, "Mommy is the keeper of the boobs." So if I say DD1 may nurse, he may not take that away.

KBailey87 01-12-2013 12:41 AM

Thanks for the input mama's! I'll probably go the way of not mentioning it and see how it goes from there. Thanks again!

ajbailey89 01-12-2013 08:03 AM

I'm in the not mentioning it group. I did when dd was around 4 months and he wasn't exactly supportive. Bur we were talking about it today (she's 9 months now) and talked about it like duh, you'll keep bfing.

kharvey92611 01-12-2013 08:12 AM

I always thought I'd wean at 1 . I was the type of person who "would never breast feed a child who
Could ask for it , had a mouth full of teeth " and so on . I'm now nursing still nursing my mouth full of teeth , walking /running , and ask to nurse 16 month old ! Oh and I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant (-; DH at first was iffy but couldn't imagine us doing it any other way . I will admit my breast are super sore being pregnant so nursing as become a bit hard .

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum