Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How many covers are needed for a NB stash full of prefolds/fitteds? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480354)

emg86 01-11-2013 10:42 AM

How many covers are needed for a NB stash full of prefolds/fitteds?

Hello ladies! I plan to CD our baby girl from day 1. I have been diligently working on my NB stash which will mostly consist of prefolds and fitteds. I've got some wool on the way as well to try out. I have been trying to figure out how many covers would be plenty. Ideally, I would like to avoid laundry every day. Anyone have a special magic number to share?

Chamomile Girl 01-11-2013 10:49 AM

Re: How many covers are needed for a NB stash full of prefolds/fitteds?

Well, I know you are asking about covers, but how many diapers do you have? Because I have 24 prefolds and need to do laundry every day. Newborns go through a lot of dipes.

The good part is they don't tend to poo up the covers like bigger babies.

I'd say 5-7 covers.

emg86 01-11-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl (Post 16144299)
Well, I know you are asking about covers, but how many diapers do you have? Because I have 24 prefolds and need to do laundry every day. Newborns go through a lot of dipes.

The good part is they don't tend to poo up the covers like bigger babies.

I'd say 5-7 covers.

I was thinking 24-32 diapers....haven't finalized my number yet.

momEmac 01-11-2013 10:57 AM

I like to have 3 covers per dozen diapers, 4 would be even better. I had 36 prefolds for DS and 6 covers. I had plenty of diapers, but really needed 2-3 more covers and would have loved to have an even dozen covers for the 3 dozen diapers. But I could have washed every other day with 8 covers. With six I was washing covers by hand or washing diapers every day and a half.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

theoriginalpumpkin 01-11-2013 11:09 AM

7-8. For DD2, I had 8 covers as I had gotten them on sale and I never ran out.

For the triplets, I had 15 at first. I noticed that 5 (each baby had a color) was not enough but rarely did one baby go through more than 7-8 in a single day.

theoriginalpumpkin 01-11-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emg86 (Post 16144318)
I was thinking 24-32 diapers....haven't finalized my number yet.

I'd just get 3 dozen for ordering sake. Remember, you can also use them as burp cloths and diaper table pads.

jennayoung99 01-11-2013 12:51 PM

I was told a ratio of 3:1 for prefolds to covers was good, newborn poo doesn't stay in a prefold everytime.

foggierbard9 01-11-2013 01:14 PM

We had 6 pul, 6 fleece, and 2 wool soakers for our youngest and that allowed for every other day washing ith a few spares just in case.

nicolemariep 01-11-2013 01:17 PM

We have 3 dozen prefolds and 5 covers is plenty. We snappi the prefold so poo rarely gets on the cover and we wash every 2 days.

MomBecks 01-11-2013 03:56 PM

If you're fastening prefolds on I'd say 5-6 but if you're just trifolding I'd suggest more like 10. Newbies poo like no one's business :)