Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Are baby hammocks safe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480376)

missydawn 01-11-2013 12:37 PM

Are baby hammocks safe?

For this next baby I was looking into the amby baby hammock or something similar to it but I am not sure they are completely safe. They look like they would allow for an easier transition from womb to world, but I am just not sure if they are completely safe. Any one use one or have any opinions on them?

s@hmommy 01-11-2013 12:39 PM

Re: Are baby hammocks safe?

There is another recent thread about this that someone gave some pretty convincing arguments against them. I think it was titled something about a hanging crib possibly.

MDever 01-11-2013 12:51 PM

I think alot of the "safety" questions depend on your parenting style. We have a ZaZa baby hammock and LOVE it. We used it for Poppy when she was tiny and the kids have all continued to enjoy it. We will use it again when our squish arrives in a few short weeks. Many cultures all over the world use hammocks for infants. I felt more than comfortable using the hammock because we rarely leave our babies unattended. We are not a "mainstream" family by any stretch of the imagination and we live in a smallish house with lots of kids so no one is ever alone:chuckle: I would be fine with leaving a baby who could not sit up yet in one. I would have liked a Baby Kanoe but could not justify the expense. Browse around online there are quite a few options other than Amby.

missydawn 01-11-2013 12:57 PM

Thanks. We are much the same no one is ever alone in our small house. I wanted to use one for the last baby but my mil ran out and bought a bassinet before I had a chance to get one. I really want to get one but I am scared that I will hate it after spending a ton on one. Or be too worried at night about a baby sleeping in it for me to sleep

MDever 01-11-2013 01:11 PM

Yes, I agree about the expense. I might not have minded spending 2 or 3 hundred if it was going to be used for lots of kids but we didn't get one until #4 who we "thought" was our last :chuckle: The ZaZa was a good choice at under $100 with shipping. We hang ours from the ceiling by hooks from the hardware store that are screwed in to the studs.

Green Decals 01-11-2013 02:47 PM

We have an Amby, and will be using it for the newbie. Yes, they were recalled because 2 babies died in them, but from the hours of researching have done, one was put in it upside down with it not secured correctly and the other child died from a vaccine reaction. How many babies have died in pack-n-plays, cribs, or walkers (which I don't and won't use, BTW)? We we use the Amby instead of a swing, as we co-sleep with our babies anyway.

me_just_me 01-11-2013 03:54 PM

We have a Kanoe and loved it! My DS really enjoyed sleeping in it and bouncing himself to sleep :giggle2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by s@hmommy (Post 16144552)
There is another recent thread about this that someone gave some pretty convincing arguments against them. I think it was titled something about a hanging crib possibly.

I read that thread. When I bought our hammock, it said that it cradled the baby in the same position as being in a mother's arms and conformed to their natural shape. Also it said that since they are not laying on a hard surface, that flat head is not an issue. Flat head is something seen from sleeping on a hard flat surface, not from a hammock.

But I think this is something that each parent must decide for themselves. We used it and loved it with our second baby, but decided on a crib with our third :giggle: