Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   If you had short labor w/1st, was 2nd also short or shorter? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480426)

Greenwife 01-11-2013 01:27 PM

If you had short labor w/1st, was 2nd also short or shorter?

As the title says.

With my first pregnancy I was in labor for 6 hours, 4 of them were mild and at home. Got to the hospital (and was convinced they would send us home) but I was already at a 10, pushed for 1-1/2 hours and out she came. At the follow-up appointment the midwife warned that if I ever have another my labor would likely be shorter. Anyone have this experience IRL? I'm kind of worried about being at work or not having time to get to the hospital. Thanks!

MDever 01-11-2013 01:32 PM

Re: If you had short labor w/1st, was 2nd also short or shorter?

With #1 I was at the hospital for 17 minutes from the time the door opened to delivery. For the rest of my pregnancies I moved to a much closer hospital. All of my labors are fast and furious with less than 5 minutes of pushing.

bigmamakelsey 01-11-2013 02:06 PM

My first was 10 hours with about 10-15 mins of pushing. Pretty short for a first baby. My second was 4 hours, with 1 push. It was less than 30 seconds of pushing and really intense.

You Tell 'Em 01-11-2013 02:59 PM

Labor #1 (Hospital): Induction started at 6:30pm on Saturday, DD was born just before 12:15pm on Sunday = Total from check-in (I was already at 3 cm but no contractions) to birth = Just under 12 hours

Labor #2 (Homebirth): I was at 5 cms the day before (no contractions) and started having frequent ones around 7am on Wednesday, DD was born just after 10:45am that same morning. = Total from first "real" contraction to birth = Under 4 hours [I was at 10 cms at 10am, AROM at 10:30am]

I'm due to give birth sometime in February and I have no clue if it'll be close to labor #2 or not... but I'll have to leave for the hospital as soon as I feel a "real" contraction... just in case :blush:

Green Decals 01-11-2013 03:18 PM

Both of my labors started with my water breaking, no contractions at all before that, I woke up to my water breaking spontaneously. With each one, I took a shower and my contractions started at some point thereafter, but I don't have painful contractions (only the back labor from them both being posterior - that was the only painful part) so it wasn't all that intense either time.

My first was born 4 hours and 32 minutes after my water broke. He came at 35 weeks and was 6 pounds even.

My second was born 3 hours and 27 minutes after my water broke. He came at 40 weeks exactly and was 10 pounds, 4 ounces.

I am due with #3 any time now, and trying not to sneeze. This will be another homebirth, as I doubt I would make it to the hospital even if we planned to go that route.

sma123 01-11-2013 03:20 PM

My first was 3.5 hrs total and my 2nd was 25 hrs; however i was 9 cm when i arrived at the hospital. Yuck. I am waiting to see what 3rd will be

songbird516 01-11-2013 04:21 PM

First labor was 5 hours and second was 2.5, so that was fun. We had a homebirth for the second because we figured it would be fast.

trying4more 01-11-2013 09:53 PM

#1 was almost 8 hours.
#2 was 6 hours
#3 & #4 were even shorter!

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 01-11-2013 10:45 PM

DS: 2.5 hours (actually a little less) from first contraction to baby. I was woken up by contractions and they never got less painful.

DD: Had two painful contractions in amongst a couple hours of very mild, not painful "Braxton Hicks". I really didn't think it was the start of anything. If you count from that first painful one, then labour was just under three hours. But she was born about forty minutes after the contractions became consistently painful, so it makes me wonder whether DS's labour was also longer but just not painful enough at first to wake me!

ETA: I made it to the hospital (about 30 minutes away) both times. First time, I was dilated to an 8 and he was born about an hour or so after we got there. Second, I was complete when I got there and she was born 22 minutes later. My midwives knew I'd go fast so I went in right away (as soon as I realized my not-painful Braxton Hicks contractions were getting closer together). We also had a back-up plan where, if I'd felt labour was coming on too intensely/quickly, they'd come to me and do a home birth. I said all along that I was fine with having her either at hospital or home, just NOT in the car!

fish3737 01-11-2013 11:20 PM

1st was like 8 hrs - they held me off to get the doses of antibiotics in for strep B
2nd was less than 3 - my only "natural labor" because of lack of time - LOL
3rd was like 12 hrs.

1 and 2 I had preterm labor and my water broke at home - bed and couch.

#3 no preterm labor, and the doctors broke my water at the hossie.