Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   When do you go to the hospital? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480652)

made4this 01-11-2013 10:36 PM

When do you go to the hospital?

I feel a little silly asking this, but I have never gone into labor on my own. My first 3 were inductions, but this time I am hoping to go into labor. My question is, if you were gbs+, how did you time it so that you could get the antibiotics, ideally 4 hour's worth, and not a minute more. I don't want to go too early and stall, or too late and end up with baby having to stay. Anyone have experience with this?

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 02:46 AM

Re: When do you go to the hospital?

I don't have gestational diabetes but I just went when I was told... contractions/pains were every 5 mins. I don't live that far 3rd time around. Can you ask a doctor or we have a first nurse here that we can call in the middle of the night. Labor for one was a stabbing pain in my back known as back labor no one ever told me about that was excruciating and my second was like menstrual cramps.....

try this site http://www.mothering.com/community/t...go-to-hospital maybe it will help

sma123 01-12-2013 05:57 AM

I would ask your doctor since they'll have to administer antibiotics for the group b strep... Good luck! Waiting for my gbs test :/

made4this 01-12-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16147388)
I don't have gestational diabetes but I just went when I was told... contractions/pains were every 5 mins. I don't live that far 3rd time around. Can you ask a doctor or we have a first nurse here that we can call in the middle of the night. Labor for one was a stabbing pain in my back known as back labor no one ever told me about that was excruciating and my second was like menstrual cramps.....

try this site http://www.mothering.com/community/t...go-to-hospital maybe it will help

:blush:...I used to interpret those instructions every. day. about coming in when contractions were 5 min apart. Forgot all about that. I'll confirm with my ob since we are 30 min or so from hospital. Thanks, mamas! Yeah I am super familiar with what contractions feel like but no experience with deciding when they are strong enough to go to hospital. I typically manage (the induced contractions) until about 4 cm and then I am asking for epidural, but I am expecting a natural labor to be slower and less intense, so ???

sma123 01-12-2013 10:48 AM

I would think natural labor would progress faster than if you were induced... I've never been induced though so I'm not an expert ;)

You Tell 'Em 01-12-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyfarm3 (Post 16147736)
:blush:...I used to interpret those instructions every. day. about coming in when contractions were 5 min apart. Forgot all about that. I'll confirm with my ob since we are 30 min or so from hospital. Thanks, mamas! Yeah I am super familiar with what contractions feel like but no experience with deciding when they are strong enough to go to hospital. I typically manage (the induced contractions) until about 4 cm and then I am asking for epidural, but I am expecting a natural labor to be slower and less intense, so ???

From experience (contraction wise) natural labor (non-pitocin induced) are much easier to manage... it's not like WHAM a contraction like pit, it's more of you feel it coming, then it's there and then it goes away. But for the slower and less intense of a labor, my last one (all natural) went much quicker (but I wouldn't say more intense) than my 1st induced one.

As for the GBS I didn't have it either time (and I won't be tested until Tues this time) but for me, even if I had it last time there wouldn't have been enough time from the first contraction to midwives leaving their place to get to mine for them to have it been administered long enough.

lolson3 01-12-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyfarm3 (Post 16147132)
I feel a little silly asking this, but I have never gone into labor on my own. My first 3 were inductions, but this time I am hoping to go into labor. My question is, if you were gbs+, how did you time it so that you could get the antibiotics, ideally 4 hour's worth, and not a minute more. I don't want to go too early and stall, or too late and end up with baby having to stay. Anyone have experience with this?

This is me exactly, too. I'm hoping to be more patient and not be induced less than a week overdue, but I am worried about getting to the hospital for the 4 hours to get both doses of antibiotics. In the past I have been induced at 2-3 days over. My last two inductions have gone fairly quickly once my contractions started (less than 6 hours) but I'm not sure how my body will act on it's own. In three labors I've only felt 3 or 4 painful contractions and that was with my first delivery. I was on pitocin (like all 3 labors) and my dr broke my water and my pain level went from 0-10 in about 3 minutes, so I've always asked for an epidural as close to having my water broken as possible.

Ainmemphis 01-13-2013 08:38 AM

I went pretty early with ds, I was a scheduled csection and was told to go to hospital asap if my water broke or contractions started. It took me about 2 hours to realize I was in labor but in those 2 hours I had dilated to a 5 so I'm glad I went right in. Double footing breech so they promptly took me to or. A couple of my friends went to hospital early and they were given the option of going home.

thealmightyme 01-13-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sma123 (Post 16148289)
I would think natural labor would progress faster than if you were induced... I've never been induced though so I'm not an expert ;)

I've had both, my first was induced, and I got an epidural at about 5cm contractions were too intense. The second, the contractions started at about 7 minutes apart. By the time I arrived at the hospital they were 3 minutes apart. I was dismayed to 5, I live 25 minutes from the hospital. Only one hour later I was at 10. It went so fast. I never needed an epi.

crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ 01-21-2013 09:25 AM

I'm clueless as well..my midwives put me on bed rest because I'm "too hard headed" haha I have a 2 yo so am obviously not able to stay strictly in bed. with dd, my nurse told me to go in because I had strong contractions 3 mins apart. however, they had to break my water and I stalled out for about 7 hours, then went from 4 to a 10 in a hour!!

this time, my mw said if I have 6 contractions in an hour I'm supposed to go in. now I DON'T follow that, however when I have regular contractions for 1-2 hours I will go in. hth, I'm stalking this post!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum