Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   EBF switching FF and wont take- keeps gagging, help?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480661)

Avasmommy721 01-11-2013 11:06 PM

EBF switching FF and wont take- keeps gagging, help??

My dd is 6mo old and EBF and I want to give her a formula bottle before bed. 1. to sleep better and 2 because I work and only can pump 5oz a day. want to be able to pump more but having trouble. We bought Enfamil gentlease and she screams and gags on it, she will suck for a second and then gag. I don't know what it is but thinking its the taste.. It does smell HORRIBLE. any suggestions would be awesome!!!

starbeam 01-12-2013 01:08 AM

Re: EBF switching FF and wont take- keeps gagging, help??

the idea that formula helps a baby sleep longer/better is a myth. in fact, because formula creates so much more gas than breastfeeding, it often wakes baby up more in the night.

starbeam 01-12-2013 01:10 AM

i would talk to your docor about adding some healthy, whole-food solids to her diet rather than formula, if you think she's ready. if you're having trouble pumping as much as you want, you might try renting a hospital pump. some insurance even covers it. they are often much more effective than home pumps. or if you're using a manual, try switching to an electric.

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbeam (Post 16147346)
i would talk to your docor about adding some healthy, whole-food solids to her diet rather than formula, if you think she's ready. if you're having trouble pumping as much as you want, you might try renting a hospital pump. some insurance even covers it. they are often much more effective than home pumps. or if you're using a manual, try switching to an electric.

Foods are going to help more than formula to help fill baby. My mom who adopted 2kids one still using formula found Out doing solids helped more because sounds like from stories formula itself wasn't enough kind of like you Are saying. Baby can get more out too breastfeeding than pump plus I agree with this above too.....plus y are you using gentle formula?

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 01:38 AM

Also duds you try herbs as well? Lots our there to try mothers milk tea, thistle, fenugreek, mothers milk plus..

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 01:40 AM

Side note too....going from breast to whole milk wasn't easy either so maybe baby saying not ready or like the formula.

mibarra 01-12-2013 10:18 AM

What flow nipple are you using? It could be too fast for her. I would get the slowest flow (usually #1).

Tina5834 01-12-2013 12:30 PM

I found that the ready to feed 'gentle' formulas are sweeter than the powder. So they are as sweet as breast milk. I would try that.

hilaryisinked 01-13-2013 07:59 AM

My babies who were EBF both gagged on formula when we tried it. It tastes really gross. I tasted some and it tasted like rust :/. I was told Baby's Only formula is sweet like breastmilk.

lecialefty 01-14-2013 07:38 AM

My dd2 had no problem switching to similar organic at 8.5 months.