Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Shipping to Canada - which service? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480679)

MamaHare 01-12-2013 06:24 AM

Shipping to Canada - which service?

What do you use? The info at USPS doesn't seem to say anything about how to get delivery confirmation. I don't care so much about "tracking" but I do need to cover myself (obviously) with delivery confirmation.

First Class International? $5.75 postage + $11.75 for registered mail (is this the only way to get tracking??)

Priority International? $12.95 (It says that tracking is not available on the small flat rate box) $22 ish for standard Priority service probably (?) would give tracking info. I guess they're not providing the tracking service on smaller boxes?

Other ideas/input?

Or should I just not sell/ship to Canada? This is kindof a pain :/

l_Kimmie_l 01-12-2013 09:47 AM

Re: Shipping to Canada - which service?

You cannot send first class (the cheap way) and get delivery confirmation. The expensive way is the only way. That is why I stopped selling unless I personally know the person. I cannot afford to lose even $5.

Computermama 01-12-2013 10:06 AM

most people use FCI, despite no DC. If you want to cover yourself, you can get insurance through upic for really cheap. I would not buy from a US mama who insisted on 16+ dollars to ship - I'd be out money over buying new at that point.

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 10:10 AM

I like UPS.

jennayoung99 01-12-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
most people use FCI, despite no DC. If you want to cover yourself, you can get insurance through upic for really cheap. I would not buy from a US mama who insisted on 16+ dollars to ship - I'd be out money over buying new at that point.

This exactly.

MamaHare 01-12-2013 12:54 PM

thank you :)

canadianbakers 01-12-2013 01:50 PM

I hate that they make it this way for shipping up here. :(

I wouldn't buy from someone who would only ship the pricier way, just too much $$, might as well buy new like the op said.
But I've never had a seller say that they would only ship that way - usually they ask for an extra $1-2, which I'm totally fine with paying.

To be honest, when I buy things from the US I realize I'm taking a risk myself. If it doesn't come, or something happens with the package and the postal system won't cover things, then I'm out the $$. I mean, it would be awesome if a seller offered to split the loss with me, but I don't expect that.

In all my years buying stuff on FSOT, though, I've bought lots and lots from the US and never have had a problem with anything.
*knock on wood* Cuz I've got something OTW right now!!

Computermama 01-20-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16148135)
I like UPS.

Please don't ever send low dollar items though a courier. They charge international mamas an absolute fortune in taxes, courier charges, brokerage etc, etc, etc. A few years back I bought through a US retailer who had on their website that they ship USPS, and I paid $20 in shipping on a $35 order. It arrived via UPS, and they wanted to charge me another $36 in fees, on top of what I'd already paid. I threw a royal fit. Apparently they only used USPS for domestic orders, had I known that I would not have put in the order. Had it gone USPS priority like I had thought, I *might* have had to spend another few dollars in customs fees and taxes, but the value of the items was small enough that I probably wouldn't have had to.

craigwick 01-20-2013 09:58 AM

I agree about UPS, have been totally slammed by brokerage fees at work for stuff we ordered from an American company.

So far in all my purchases from DS I have only ever not received one thing, but I have a feeling it was never sent as the mama stopped communicating and didn't respond even when I opened a paypal claim.

It may take awhile, but everything else has always gotten here!

champatlife 01-22-2013 06:11 PM

so you guys have to pay additional fees on top of what we spend to ship to you?

I sent first class today to a Mama in Canada. I marked it as a gift, will she have to pay a fee once she gets it too? I hope not.