Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Dealing with damaging stim behaviors (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480688)

marliah 01-12-2013 08:11 AM

Dealing with damaging stim behaviors

Our 11 year old (DS of autism( is nonverbal and his newest stim is lights and plugs. We have been trying redirection, distracting him, negative consequences for touching them, rewarding not touching them, etc. but every chance he gets he is at it. The switches and pull chains were annoying but we just let it go, but then he escalated to unscrewing and screwing in light bulbs (broke quite a few in the process too) and paying with plugs and outlets and that's not ok. So we are getting a bit frazzled with this behavior, anyone know any good toys that would fill This stim for him? Or any devices to curb it, ie. indestructible light switch covers/lock boxes?

Thanks in advance!

mibarra 01-12-2013 10:16 AM

Re: Dealing with damaging stim behaviors

Does he like other toys that "Fit together"? Legos? Play tool sets with nuts and bolts?

Suzi 01-12-2013 09:01 PM

Could you get him a different colored plug that's non functional except things would fit in the slots? Look around the house or at menards for other real life fidgets since he seems to gravitate towards those.

Do you have any bedroom or bathroom doors that have a push lock. U cld show him how to lock it and then stick a bobby pin in it to pop it open.

Can he use a screwdriver. Is there a handle could unscrew and put back on?

I will wonder around my house tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything better

Suzi 01-12-2013 09:05 PM

A lamp with light levels? U turn it one and its dim, turn again its a little brighter, turn and its brightest then off. Do they still make touch lamps? That might be even better.

A lamp with a small bulb he could undue. If its at his level maybe he'd be less likely to break it.

Flashlights! He could take out the batteries if he wants. I'd get a few cheap colorful ones. Then he could have a set. Maybe a light bright.

Suzi 01-12-2013 09:07 PM

Extension cords? Would he be content plugging them into just each other?

A fan with levels?

Does he do video games at all?. An older Nintendo, like a 64 has art ridge games to plug in and u plug in the remotes and memory cards.

Sorry I'm too lazy to edit my first posts:goodvibes:

marliah 01-14-2013 07:10 AM

Thanks for some good ideas :) he already does the use lock doorknobs lol, we all have to keep "keys" (bobby pins or safety pins) on s cause we are always getting locked out of rooms. And he has flashlights, quite a few of them, he likes them but there is something about our kitchen ceiling fan that really has him fixated on it, he goes back and forth from the light switch to the pull chains to unscrewing ans screwing in the light bulbs (he uses a kitchen chair to reach it).

BCGamerMom 01-14-2013 08:12 AM

Would he be able to work a snap circuits board? My son has the jr set and can set a basic circuit and switch the device (light, motor with fan type blade, sound effects chips) and the switches (push button, switch, sound and light activated) to make the lights or sound happen and change them by putting different resistors on the board ect. It's safe because there is no way to get shocked.