Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   fenugreek (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480710)

Arizonah13 01-12-2013 09:48 AM

I'm thinking my little one could use a little more milk. With the exception of the first couple of feeds of the day (when she seems truly content, sleeps soundly after, etc) she tends to eat often, sleep very little and is quick to fuss. I know she is gaining well, but if I had a little more milk, I feel like she wouldn't pull, fuss, and pop on and off my nips over and over.

Anyway, how much fenugreek should I start with?

ETA: she is 7 weeks old, but has been doing this for several weeks so I don't think it's a growth spurt trying to summon more milk.

Sent from my phone

halielise924 01-12-2013 09:58 AM

My milk supply due to hospitalization and stuff depleted. I started fenugreek last night and I have milk again. LC here said 3 pills 3x a day and they smell like pancakes and syrup ;)

halielise924 01-12-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gnc sells it and my husb got it at rite aid

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 10:06 AM

Re: fenugreek

Mothrs milk tea, mothers milk plus, thistle too not sure on amounts to try....

l_Kimmie_l 01-12-2013 10:15 AM

I could do 2 pills 3 times per day. Any more caused my baby to have gas. I smell like a pancake though, so it is working.

Arizonah13 01-12-2013 10:18 AM

Thanks ladies! I'll start with 2 pills 3x a day and add in some lactation cookies for good measure. :)

Sent from my phone

mrseum 01-12-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizonah13
I'm thinking my little one could use a little more milk. With the exception of the first couple of feeds of the day (when she seems truly content, sleeps soundly after, etc) she tends to eat often, sleep very little and is quick to fuss. I know she is gaining well, but if I had a little more milk, I feel like she wouldn't pull, fuss, and pop on and off my nips over and over.

Anyway, how much fenugreek should I start with?

ETA: she is 7 weeks old, but has been doing this for several weeks so I don't think it's a growth spurt trying to summon more milk.

Sent from my phone

Could she be sensitive to something in your diet? Does she arch at all? Ds2 pulled & fussed & pulled & fussed... When he'd finally get the letdown he was either happy or clearly upset & wild stop... It's a double edged sword because the milk soothes tummies & they want that- but sometimes it can hurt too!
He slept ok in the beginning but steadily got worse. Hope that's not the case for you!
Eta: 6 pills a day worked for me...

HeatherlovesCDs 01-12-2013 08:13 PM

I started with 3 pills 3x's a day. But, the key is to make sure you are taking enough. If you don't smell, take more. I am on my 4th nursing experience (6th baby, 2 set of twins). I've taken it in the past and it was NO help at all. This time, I decided to take a lot more after reading what others do. I ended up at 6 pills 3x's per day before I finally started smelling like maple syrup and noticed an increase in my supply. No adverse affects for baby at all.

Good luck!

Arizonah13 01-13-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrseum (Post 16150259)

Could she be sensitive to something in your diet? Does she arch at all? Ds2 pulled & fussed & pulled & fussed... When he'd finally get the letdown he was either happy or clearly upset & wild stop... It's a double edged sword because the milk soothes tummies & they want that- but sometimes it can hurt too!
He slept ok in the beginning but steadily got worse. Hope that's not the case for you!
Eta: 6 pills a day worked for me...

She seems to pull and fuss a few minutes after I let down and /or if I take a while to let down. She really behaves like she's impatient for my milk. Also, in the middle of the night and earlier in the day when my breasts are obviously much fuller, she doesn't fuss much, if at all.

And she hardly ever spits up (maybe once or twice a week)

Sent from my phone

Arizonah13 01-13-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16150293)
I started with 3 pills 3x's a day. But, the key is to make sure you are taking enough. If you don't smell, take more. I am on my 4th nursing experience (6th baby, 2 set of twins). I've taken it in the past and it was NO help at all. This time, I decided to take a lot more after reading what others do. I ended up at 6 pills 3x's per day before I finally started smelling like maple syrup and noticed an increase in my supply. No adverse affects for baby at all.

Good luck!

I started taking them yesterday... How long should I wait to see if I start smelling like syrup or if I need to add more?

Sent from my phone