Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Low Lying Placenta (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480730)

cdeweese 01-12-2013 11:12 AM

Low Lying Placenta

Anyone have/had this? The week before Christmas my placenta was 2 1/2 cm from the cervix. Yesterday they checked again and it was only 2 cm away. The tech told me that my Dr. would have the results by Monday and would want to discuss it with me. My next appt isn't until the 28th so I'm obviously going to be waiting awhile to hear anything. He also said to not be surprised if the discussion turned to c section as a possibility. I'm only 23 weeks and realize that things could change between now and delivery. I'm not really freaked out or anything, just trying to gather information amd hear others experiences with this.

leyash 01-12-2013 11:14 AM

Re: Low Lying Placenta

That reminds me that I really need to talk to my doctor about where my placenta is. He has yet to tell me and I really want to make sure that it has been addressed/looked at.

leyash 01-12-2013 11:15 AM

Anyway, from what I understand, they typically will do a c-section. The baby can't come out if your placenta is right there on your cervix.

trying4more 01-12-2013 11:17 AM

With my last baby, mine was right at the cervix, not covering it, but right at the edge. I went back around 28 weeks and it moved far away.

77Lipen 01-12-2013 11:18 AM

It's possible it will shift out of the way so you wont need a c-section. But if it doesn't you will have to have cesarean to prevent the placenta from being delivered 1st.

It's fairly common so no worries. You may spot more than others. Make sure you get checked about it, but otherwise no worries.

skippycd 01-12-2013 11:21 AM

Mine is really close right now. My ob said that it needs to be at least 2 cm away to avoid an automatic c-section. I'm praying that it moves. It still has a lot of time, and I've been reading that most of them move by the time baby comes.

jac1976 01-14-2013 05:14 AM

I had a complete previa (placenta was completely covering the cervix) with DS. My previa wasn't diagnosed until DS was born, but I had bright red spotting episodes on a regular basis throughout my pregnany and was put on pelvic rest for the entire pregnancy b/c of the spotting. The docs said if they had seen my previa earlier I would have been put on hospital bed rest for the last few months.

RunawayBunny 01-14-2013 07:32 AM

I was diagnosed with complete previa at 21 weeks. I moved and switched OBs at 24 weeks. Both OBs completely agreed that nothing can be confirmed until closer to 28 weeks and then even so things can continue to move away up until you deliver.

I freaked out after Googling, but now (27 weeks) I have heard so many good outcomes that I am not worried. Also, its incredibly misdiagnosed (this from my Aunt who a high risk u/s tech). Something like 5% of low lying placentas end up with previa.

So try not to worry!

Momma2NCJD 01-14-2013 01:58 PM

I had an anterior placenta and mine has now moved more posterior, they definitely move! I wouldn't be too worried until closer to due date....

Caz 01-14-2013 06:19 PM

With my first, I had a complete previa that was discovered at 16wks after an episode of bleeding and it was monitored pretty closely, but by 28-29 weeks it had completely moved away from the cervix. It was still a complete previa during an u/s I had at 26wks, so it wasn't until after that that it moved. You still have LOTS of time!!