Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Trying to get started (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480742)

diymotherhood 01-12-2013 12:44 PM

Trying to get started

Hello,

I have been dragging my feet, I admit. I wanted to give EC a try, but have had so many other things going on (afterpains, then sleep deprivation). Then they baby got sick. :-( Poor little thing. He is feeling so much better now and laughing and giggling.

I ordered a little potty bowl from the EC store and I just cannot figure out how that is supposed to work. It seems like his butt is too big. If he was pooping I could see it work, but if he pees it would go everywhere. Where do you EC? Over the sink or the toilet? That seem to me like it would have better success at aiming... But what if he poops during nursing or right after? Don't know if I can run that fast...

I really want to try it. Wouldn't it be great if we could all have someone demonstrate for us?

Anyway, just random thoughts. At the very latest I will sit him on a potty when he can sit up, but that will still be a little while.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Anita Evensen

Pixi6s 01-12-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Trying to get started

I agree that at around 6 months when they sit it makes a lot of since. I started at 9m so not too much help I just wanted to let you know that you can start out by just offering the potty at diaper changes, especially if you ever get a dry one. Maybe try to change more frequently to catch one. Generally they recommend doing naked time, lay baby on a prefold and watch for signals, remember to make your signal sound if you see them pee/poop.

Oh when using the potty bowl or sink with a little boy I've heard that people learn to aim for him with a finger.

I wanted to EC from birth but just didn't; no real excuse but maybe overwhelmed. I kinda forgot about it-ish and then around nine months I got excited again. If we get to have another child I will give it a stronger try at birth or close to it. But the latest start would be when baby can sit!

strongwoman 01-13-2013 10:50 PM

Hey mama! Glad that you joined us at this forum :) If you have a top hat potty, you have to angle it where his bum is not totally on it when he needs to pee. Gets kind of complicated when he needs to poop and pee though. I usually just use the top hat for pee and use the BBLP or BBSP for poops. Like PP said, aim his penis with your finger, not that hard to do. You may be able to find some EC demos on YouTube. I haven't checked recently. I bought an ebook called EC Simplified which really helped me to get started. It's at www.ecsimplified.com. In the book she has a lot of pics of how to EC in different situations. She also has a newsletter she emails every once in a while. Anyway, I hope you have fun doing EC with your baby!

sharper75 01-25-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for the website, I'm going to start with my LO and she is 9 months. She pees on whatever is under her as soon as diaper comes off.

drfitz19 03-28-2013 10:09 AM

I feel the same way! My LO is 10 weeks and I keep thinking about starting but tell myself it will be easier when he can hold his own head totally and sit up on his own... I'm wondering if its still effective if I'm not consistent?

leadmare 03-31-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfitz19 (Post 16443896)
I feel the same way! My LO is 10 weeks and I keep thinking about starting but tell myself it will be easier when he can hold his own head totally and sit up on his own... I'm wondering if its still effective if I'm not consistent?

You can start whenever you would like, and even ec part-time. But don't be intimidated. Just do it! You totally can!

I also found EC Simplified, and all of the photo demonstrations very helpful.