Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stash to hand down through several kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480743)

tentrevival 01-12-2013 11:47 AM

Stash to hand down through several kids

What, if anything, would you do differently if you needed to build a stash that would last through several kids?

My husband and I are very fertile, we get pregnant very quickly, and I am only 26, so we have years to go. We also would like to adopt from Ghana and Haiti. So I am looking at at least 4 more kids.

I know that sized is worth it for us, because they will last longer and fit better, but is there a system you think will be more durable? Certain fabrics you would avoid?

I will probably sew most of any stash we have because I like my pattern best. I hate being too picky, because I hate wasting useful things, but I do want colors to stay bright etc. I hate using frayed faded diapers on our cute little babies.

lynn97 01-12-2013 11:59 AM

Honestly, prefolds and flats are the most durable but I don't know that it is realistic to expect to get anything else to last through 4-5 kids. I don't think all of your PFs and flats will necessarily make it that long. Wool would also be very durable. Anything PUL is a bit of a risk but it is so easy to use (washame and such). I hope to get 2-3 kids' use out if my BG 4.0s but I have a large stash of them and they are rotated. Covers? Maybe new for each kid or 2 kids' use.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

dagmomma 01-12-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Stash to hand down through several kids

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 16148543)
Honestly, prefolds and flats are the most durable but I don't know that it is realistic to expect to get anything else to last through 4-5 kids. I don't think all of your PFs and flats will necessarily make it that long. Wool would also be very durable. Anything PUL is a bit of a risk but it is so easy to use (washame and such). I hope to get 2-3 kids' use out if my BG 4.0s but I have a large stash of them and they are rotated. Covers? Maybe new for each kid or 2 kids' use.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

My thoughts too. Prefolds, flats, and wool

skippycd 01-12-2013 12:03 PM

I want to know too! I'm just starting to buy and hope to be able to pass down to several future babes.

MDever 01-12-2013 12:14 PM

Sized prefolds, flats, and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap Covers. I diapered 3 children with the same prefolds(they potty learn by 2yo). I also used the same BSWW in newborn and small but the mediums needed new for each child because they were that size for well over a year. If you was your covers by themselves and hang dry IMO they hold up MUCH better. I only replaced the BSWW because they were aplix and the aplix got unsticky there was no delamination or leaking though.

bcarroll9494 01-12-2013 12:22 PM

Our PFs were handed down and I *think* my girls were the 4th and 5th users. I know that my family used cloth more consistently than the family we got them from.

By the end - the large PFs were toast. The NBs were Ok, but getting worn out. Of course keeping in mind that we only used the NBs for about 4 months each kid. And towards the end, my 2nd DD was wearing fitteds more than those PFs.

But since they are so inexpensive, it wouldn't cost much to replace some here and there as needed.

thirdtimemomma 01-12-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tentrevival (Post 16148488)
What, if anything, would you do differently if you needed to build a stash that would last through several kids?

My husband and I are very fertile, we get pregnant very quickly, and I am only 26, so we have years to go. We also would like to adopt from Ghana and Haiti. So I am looking at at least 4 more kids.

I know that sized is worth it for us, because they will last longer and fit better, but is there a system you think will be more durable? Certain fabrics you would avoid?

I will probably sew most of any stash we have because I like my pattern best. I hate being too picky, because I hate wasting useful things, but I do want colors to stay bright etc. I hate using frayed faded diapers on our cute little babies.

I've been cding for 11 years and 7 kids... I think prefolds and covers Nd bumgenius or fuzzibunz for nights and outings will last the longest. Snaps over velcro.

But. In my experience, it works better to buy a stash of what you like and plan to repurchase to the sum of $200 for each kid or every 2 years. Then you can try new things, sell and buy and enjoy your diapering years as long as your not over budget. We stopped counting a long time ago and now just try not to spend out of pocket more than $100 a year on diapers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Anna0623 01-12-2013 12:25 PM

I am going with gmd&, hemp/bamboo Prefolds, bummis covers,some wool, and also some old style kissaluv size small contours with no elastic. Wish i would have know this over a year and a half when I first started cding my ds, i would have saved a lot of money, and frustration.

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 12:29 PM

My fb os pockets have as most are probably first stuff that came out......through kids of people I bought from & my 2nd... and soonto be 3rd.....

clothdiaperlovingmama2 01-12-2013 12:33 PM

This is a good post. I would think probably Hemp and Bamboo would last the longest.