Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Parents of early reader, a ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480761)

NSB 01-12-2013 12:20 PM

Parents of early reader, a ?

Hi there,

My DS is obsessed with the alphabet. He has know all the upper case letters (recognize and say all their names) since 18 months. Has known all their sounds since 20 months, and has known most of the lower case since his 2nd birthday. He can also read about 6 words. He has done all of this on his own (like bringing me blocks or fridge letters and saying "this?", to which I would say the letter, and learned the sounds from a leap frog video) But now I would like to know if there is anything special I should be doing to help him learn to read? We read books all.the.time b/c he LOVES them. He often goes and sits in his play tent and looks at his books.

When reading, should I just read as normal, or should I be pointing to the words as I read?

My other kids were late readers, and I like having a little reader and would like to encourage it :)

TIA!

Dmpmercury 01-12-2013 12:57 PM

Re: Parents of early reader, a ?

Brillkids has a reading program designed for babies and toddlers and even older kids that is really good. It is a little better than Your Baby Can Read. I like using reading bear with all my kids including the 2 year old. It has 50 presentations on different phonics rules and you can play it slow so it sounds the words out or faster or have them read the words. It uses them in a sentence to explain the meaning and also has a video of the word. The preschool prep videos Meet the Sight Words, Blends and Digraphs is another resource that is good. You can point to the words as you read if he pays attention to that. I don't have any natural readers who just pick it up fast but I think kids benefit from early exposure with no pressure. I wish I could go back in time with my older kids.

ktarsha 01-12-2013 01:02 PM

I don't think you need to do anything special. My older son was an early reader, and all we really did was read read read to him. Sometimes we'd point out the words, sometimes not, and he was reading on his own by about age 4.

tallanvor 01-12-2013 02:18 PM

I would follow the words as I read, but mainly so they caught on to the fact that you read from left to right. I didn't do it all the time. Eventually, my kids asked for me to teach them to read, so we went through sounding out and slowly worked in the phonics rules. I bought curriculum with my oldest, but have hardly used it with my youngest. I just wasn't confident that I could teach my oldest without it.

lemurmommies 01-12-2013 02:21 PM

I never pointed out the words as I read to my son, though I did read to him a LOT. He was reading independently at just over 3. I would just keep doing whatever you're doing and not worry too much about it, personally!

NSB 01-12-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks so much mamas :) I really am enjoying a kid that loves to be read to!

wordbox 01-12-2013 08:41 PM

I'd start working on letter sounds with him. They take awhile to learn.

Your son sounds similar to mine. He is also very interested in the alphabet. He is only 2 1/2, and I'm not pushing the actual "reading" idea... but since he's shown such an interest in letters I do like to support it. He's already mastered his alphabet (upper and lowercase) so we now work on letter sounds ("What letter makes an 'nnnnn' sound?"). This skill takes much longer to master, because then you can later turn it around and ask, "What sound does the letter B make?" Knowing the letter sounds is really important for being able to read and sound things out, rather than just memorizing some sight words.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. I agree with the others about just continue what you're doing, keep it fun, and keep reading to him. :)

luvsviola 01-12-2013 09:52 PM

I don't point to them.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons was a great early reading tool for my daughter, who read at 4. We didn't do the whole thing, but it really helped her learn to blend the sounds til she was ready for sounding out words.

wordbox 01-13-2013 11:42 AM

Er, wait, I think I missed the part on letter sounds in your first post. Is he able to recognize all the letter sounds already? Can he repeat them back to you as well?

How awesome that he's already into reading so much already!

danielle 01-13-2013 01:22 PM

If I understand you right, and your kid knows all of the letter sounds, then it may be time to play with letters and spell some words out, as in get the letter magnets and push letters together. At that age, I don't think I could say my daughter knew, as in deeply, what each letter sounded like, because vowels are tricky, but she knew enough that she had a desire to play with the letters themselves, just during free play. She did love reading and letters. We continued to read to her, not point.

She is 4 now, and in UPK. Teacher issued each child a "witch finger" to use as a pointer. The kids at this age get it and love it. I think 2 is a bit young for it, but my 18 month old son loves to steal it and run around the house with it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d15qN0ZcXm...0/IMG_0044.JPG